Nowitzki returns; Mavericks hold down BucksOct 20, 2006 - 3:25 AM DALLAS (Ticker) -- The Dallas Mavericks got Dirk Nowitzki back in their lineup, and just like that, all is well.
Nowitzki scored eight points in his first preseason game and Greg Buckner added 19 as the Mavericks posted an 88-71 victory over the Milwaukee Bucks.
Nowitzki, an All-NBA First Team selection the last two seasons, hadn't played in any previous preseason games because Dallas coach Avery Johnson didn't want to overtax his superstar. The German big man made 3-of-7 shots and added nine rebounds in 22 minutes.
Buckner shot 6-of-9 from the field and Josh Howard added 15 points and eight rebounds. Prior to the game, Howard agreed to a four-year, $40 million contract extension with Dallas through the 2010-11 season.
The Mavericks shot 42 percent (32-of-77) and held the Bucks to four third-quarter points on the way to their first preseason win in five tries.
Michael Redd led Milwaukee with 14 points but was just 3-of-11 from the field. He was the only Buck to score in double-digits.
Milwaukee shot 34 percent (26-of-77) and played without center Andrew Bogut, who suffered a leg sprain on October 7 and is expected to miss six to eight weeks.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- The Latest: Cuban: Sure, he'd run with Clinton or Trump May 22
- Mark Cuban tells 'Meet The Press' Thunder are his title pick May 22
- Bucks say IRS, FBI investigating email scam targeting team May 19
- How many times has your team changed coaches in the Pop era? May 12
- Mavericks guard Harris has surgeries on left toe, thumb May 10
- Nowitzki not retiring, all but certain to return to Mavs Apr 26
- Westbrook leads Thunder past Mavericks; OKC wins series 4-1 Apr 26
- Thunder use balance to advance past Mavericks Apr 26
- NBA Playoff Capsules Apr 26
- Mejri, Lee out for Dallas against Oklahoma City playoff game Apr 25
- Face of fracas? Durant says testy playoffs just part of game Apr 25
- Thunder look to advance; Hornets, Blazers try to even series Apr 25