Yao dominates as Rockets breeze past SpursOct 23, 2006 - 3:19 AM HOUSTON (Ticker) -- The shorthanded San Antonio Spurs did not have an answer for Yao Ming.
Yao registered a double-double and Shane Battier scored 17 points for the Houston Rockets en route to a 93-72 preseason triumph over Spurs, who were without the majority of their starters.
Yao dominated the likes of Francisco Elson and Jackie Bulter - both signed as free agents this offseason - in the paint. The former No. 1 overall pick scored 24 points on 10-of-17 shots and grabbed 10 rebounds for the Rockets, who took the lead for good when they bridged a 16-0 run through the first and second quarter.
Superstar Tracy McGrady and rookie Steve Novak scored 11 points apiece, while Rafer Alston chipped in 10 for Houston, which shot 45 percent (38-of-84) from the field and forced 18 turnovers.
Michael Finley and Matt Bonner both scored 11 points for the Spurs, who shot 35 percent (28-of-79). Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili and Bruce Bowen - all starters - failed to make the short trip from San Antonio.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Spurs-Thunder Preview May 23
- Thunder will try to bounce back after big loss to Warriors May 20
- 24 teams set for NBA Summer League in Las Vegas in July May 18
- Cavs 9-0 in these playoffs, and joining rarefied NBA air May 18
- NBA China to open basketball-themed Playzone in Shanghai May 17
- Defending champion Warriors expect tough task from Thunder May 16
- Capsule preview of the Warriors-Thunder West finals May 15
- Durant, Thunder beat Spurs and return to conference finals May 13
- Spurs unsure if Duncan or Ginobili will return May 13
- Thunder beat Spurs, advance to Western Conference finals May 13
- How many times has your team changed coaches in the Pop era? May 12
- Spurs' Duncan competing with Thunder, Father Time May 12