Walsh's two foul shots help Nets edge CelticsOct 25, 2006 - 2:32 AM EAST RUTHERFORD, New Jersey (Ticker) -- Matt Walsh's only points were critical.
Walsh prevented a late-game meltdown by sinking a pair of free throws with 2.6 seconds left as the New Jersey Nets held on for a 109-107 victory over the Boston Celtics in their second preseason matchup.
Richard Jefferson scored 26 points and Vince Carter added 20 for the Nets, who won their second straight exhibition contest after dropping the first four. One of those losses was a 94-90 setback to the Celtics last Wednesday.
Sebastian Telfair, who scored 21 points, capped a 13-0 run with a pair of foul shots, drawing Boston even at 107-107 with seven seconds remaining. On New Jersey's ensuing possession, Walsh was fouled by Gerald Green while driving to the basket.
Walsh calmly drained the two free throws for a two-point edge. Following a timeout by the Celtics, rookie Allan Ray had his shot blocked by Bostjan Nachbar before time expired.
Nets first-round pick Marcus Williams, who suffered a sprained wrist a week ago, collected 11 points and four assists in 23 minutes and Jason Kidd handed out 12 assists.
Telfair dished out nine assists and Wally Szczerbiak scored 16 points for Boston, which was without Paul Pierce, who had an infected middle finger.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- NBA draft returning to Brooklyn's Barclays Center May 18
- Celtics' Olynyk undergoes successful shoulder surgery May 17
- After lots of losing, 76ers hope to win big in NBA lottery May 17
- After long overseas career, Nets coach Atkinson back in NY May 16
- Russia bans 24 basketball players in gambling case May 13
- Love's Return: Cavs' big man thriving in second postseason May 11
- Celtics' president Ainge embracing expectation-filled summer May 4
- Optimism high as Celtics enter a likely active offseason Apr 29
- Hawks confident heading into 2nd round rematch with Cavs Apr 29
- Hawks overwhelm Celtics, move to 2nd round with 104-92 win Apr 29
- Hawks, Celtics alone on playoff stage in close out game Apr 28
- Stevens: Celtics' Thomas on track to play Game 6 vs. Hawks Apr 27