Howard, Magic top Rockets; Yao leaves with injuryOct 27, 2006 - 1:40 AM ORLANDO, Florida (Ticker) -- Yao Ming took an early seat, and Dwight Howard took advantage.
Howard dominated the paint and scored 22 points and Carlos Arroyo added 16 as the Orlando Magic posted an 94-90 preseason victory over the Houston Rockets.
Howard collected 12.5 rebounds per game last season, placing second in the NBA behind Minnesota's Kevin Garnett. On Thursday, the star forward grabbed 15 boards and shot 6-of-12 from the field and 10-of-12 from the line.
The 7-5 Yao left in the second quarter with a sprained right ankle, opening the interior for Howard.
Arroyo was 6-of-10 from the floor and handed out two assists in 23 minutes. Hedo Turkoglu added 10 points for the Magic, who shot 45 percent (39-of-86).
Tracy McGrady scored 18 points and second-round pick Steve Novak netted 10 for the Rockets, who shot just 38 percent (28-of-73) and committed 20 turnovers.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Magic formally introduce Frank Vogel as their new coach May 23
- Magic officially announce Frank Vogel as new head coach May 20
- AP Source: Orlando Magic hire Frank Vogel as next coach May 19
- NBA China to open basketball-themed Playzone in Shanghai May 17
- Thursday's Sports in Brief May 13
- How many times has your team changed coaches in the Pop era? May 12
- Scott Skiles resigns as coach of Magic after just 1 season May 12
- BC-AP Sports Preview Digest May 12
- Rockets must find coach in wake of first-round ouster Apr 29
- Warriors reach second round with MVP Stephen Curry sidelined Apr 28
- Warriors roll into second round of playoffs without Curry Apr 28
- Warriors look to advance, Clippers, Heat aim for home wins Apr 27