Childress leads Hawks to final preseason winOct 28, 2006 - 3:43 AM CHAPEL HILL, North Carolina (Ticker) -- With the Atlanta Hawks missing a potential starter, Josh Childress put the team on his shoulders.
Childress scored 16 points and Zaza Pachulia added 15 as the Hawks posted a 105-94 victory over the Charlotte Bobcats in the preseason finale for both clubs.
Childress made 5-of-8 shots from the field in 30 minutes off the bench.
Atlanta was without second-year forward Marvin Williams, who suffered a broken left finger in practice Thursday. He is expected to miss six to eight weeks.
The second overall pick in 2005, Williams averaged 8.5 points and 4.9 rebounds in 79 games in his rookie campaign. He was expected to start at one of the forward spots after Al Harrington departed in the offseason.
Joe Johnson and Matt Freije scored 12 points apiece for Atlanta, which opens the regular season at Philadelphia on Wednesday. The Hawks went 5-3 in the preseason.
Walter Hermann scored 18 points and Sean May added 12 and seven rebounds for the Bobcats, who shot 42 percent (32-of-77) and finished the preseason with a 2-6 record. Charlotte hosts Indiana on Wednesday in its opener.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Point man: Irving shines in Cavs' demolition of Raptors May 18
- After long overseas career, Nets coach Atkinson back in NY May 16
- After fallback season, Hawks look to rise again in East May 9
- Hornets PG Kemba Walker has another surgery on left knee May 9
- Love, James lead Cavs to another sweep, 100-99 over Hawks May 9
- Big Three leads Cavaliers back to Eastern Conference finals May 9
- NBA Playoff Capsules May 8
- Cavs looks unstoppable as they eye another playoff sweep May 8
- Cavaliers-Hawks Preview May 7
- Cavs looks unstoppable as they eye another playoff sweep May 7
- Frye leads another 3-point barrage, Cavs beat Hawks 121-108 May 7
- NBA Playoff Capsules May 7