Iverson, 76ers win finale of NBA European tournamentOct 11, 2006 - 10:15 PM COLOGNE, Germany (Ticker) -- The Philadelphia 76ers began their trip to Europe with a historic loss. They ended it with a historic win.
Allen Iverson scored 15 of his 28 points in the decisive first half as the 76ers won the inaugural NBA Europe Live tournament with a 85-71 victory over Euroleague champions CSKA Moscow.
One of four teams holding training camp in Europe, the 76ers began their journey with a loss to Winterthur Barcelona. Philadelphia became the first NBA team to lose a road game to a European team.
However, the 76ers found more success here, rallying from a 22-point second-half deficit Tuesday to defeat the Phoenix Suns and getting off to a much better start against the Russian squad, which defeated Israeli power Maccabi Tel Aviv on Tuesday.
The 76ers uncharacteristically did it with defense as center Samuel Dalembert blocked a pair of shots and Iverson and Willie Green overplayed the passing lanes. A steal and layup by Iverson capped a 19-2 run that gave Philadelphia a 42-26 lead late in the second quarter.
The lead was 47-30 at halftime and grew to 51-32 early in the third quarter as Iverson threw a running lob to Andre Iguodala, who hammered home an alley-oop dunk.
Philadelphia maintained a double-digit lead for most of the remainder of the second half.
Iverson made 7-of-15 shots, including 2-of-3 from the arc. He added nine assists and made 12-of-17 foul shots.
Dalembert had five blocked shots while collecting 15 points and 18 rebounds for the 76ers, who shot 38 percent (27-of-71).
Former NBA player Trajan Langdon made four 3-pointers and led CSKA with 16 points. The Russian squad shot just 36 percent (27-of-76).
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- 76ers win NBA draft lottery, Lakers stay at No. 2, keep pick May 17
- Mutombo rejects lottery conspiracy after Twitter mistake May 17
- The Philadelphia 76ers win lottery; have No. 1 pick in upcoming NBA draft May 17
- After lots of losing, 76ers hope to win big in NBA lottery May 17
- 76ers 1st NBA team to land jersey sponsorship with StubHub May 16
- Russia bans 24 basketball players in gambling case May 13
- 76ers add 2 executives to front office, promote key exec May 5
- 76ers counting on free agents, draft picks for better future Apr 14
- NBA Capsules Apr 14
- Bulls wipe out big early deficit, pound 76ers 115-105 Apr 14
- Jerry Colangelo insists he had no role in 76ers hiring son Apr 13