Yao, McGrady propel Rockets past PacersMar 21, 2007 - 5:53 AM HOUSTON (Ticker) -- With their offense struggling against the Indiana Pacers, the Houston Rockets looked to Yao Ming to bring them home.
Yao scored 32 points and hauled in 14 rebounds as the Rockets posted an 86-76 victory over the Pacers, who lost their eighth straight road game.
Tracy McGrady had 20 points, nine rebounds and 10 assists for Houston (43-25), which trails the Utah Jazz (44-23) by 1 1/2 games for the fifth-best record in the Western Conference.
"I was so frustrated on the offensive end," McGrady said. "I couldn't get anything to fall for me. I don't think any of us could. Only Yao had it rolling on the offensive end."
Utah defeated Golden State, 104-100, earlier on Tuesday.
Leading, 61-59, at the end of three quarters, the Rockets turned to Yao, who scored 13 points, including 9-of-10 from the free-throw line in the final period, to help produce the double-digit win.
"If I get the ball in my shooting range, I'm going to just face-up and shoot it," Yao said. "I think it's hard to block my shot, and if I get the offensive rebound, I can easily put it back in."
Shane Battier had eight points and Chuck Hayes grabbed eight boards for the Rockets, who shot just 39 percent (31-of-79) from the field but outrebounded the Pacers, 53-41.
"We didn't play particularly well, but found a way to win," Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy said. "It wasn't good enough, and we have to strive to do better."
Jermaine O'Neal scored 25 points and Jamaal Tinsley added 22 for Indiana (30-36), which is in a virtual tie with New Jersey (31-37) and Orlando (31-37) for the eighth spot in the Eastern Conference.
"Houston made shots at the end and outhustled us the last four or five minutes of the game," Tinsley said.
The Pacers shot 38 percent (32-of-84) and have lost 12 of their last 13 overall.
"We did a lot of great things out there but then Houston made plays in the fourth quarter," Pacers coach Rick Carlisle said. "We played a real gutty game, but we weren't good enough."
HOUSTON 86 FINAL
Mar 21 12:12 AM
HOUSTON 61 END, 3RD QTR
Mar 20 11:34 PM
HOUSTON 39 HALFTIME
Mar 20 10:46 PM
HOUSTON 18 END, 1ST QTR
Mar 20 10:14 PM
- Magic formally introduce Frank Vogel as their new coach May 23
- Magic officially announce Frank Vogel as new head coach May 20
- AP Source: Orlando Magic hire Frank Vogel as next coach May 19
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- AP Source: Knicks working to hire Jeff Hornacek as coach May 18
- NBA China to open basketball-themed Playzone in Shanghai May 17
- Nate McMillan takes over as head coach of the Indiana Pacers May 16
- Indiana Pacers promote assistant Nate McMillan to be team's head coach May 16
- Pacers seeking new voice after parting ways with Frank Vogel May 5
- Indiana Pacers not renewing contract of coach Frank Vogel May 5
- George's return has Pacers dreaming of brighter future May 2
- Raptors reach second round for first time 15 years May 2