Redick shines as Magic rest starters in winApr 17, 2008 - 3:41 AM ORLANDO, Florida (Ticker) -- J.J. Redick scored 13 of his career-high 18 points in the fourth quarter to lead the Orlando Magic to a 103-83 victory over the Washington Wizards on Wednesday in the season finale for both teams.
Marcin Gortat collected 12 points and 11 rebounds as the Magic rested their starters in preparation for this weekend's Eastern Conference first-round playoff series with the Toronto Raptors.
"I've been waiting seven, eight months and 82 games to get the chance to play more than two or thee minutes a game," said a visibly excited Gortat. "Getting 27 minutes in the last game was amazing. I'm really happy I got this playing time."
"The night couldn't have gone much better," Magic coach Stan Van Gundy said. "We wanted to obviously limit the minutes on some of our guys and get a lot of minutes for some of the other guys, and they played real well on top of it."
Rashard Lewis scored 15 points in 17 minutes, Dwight Howard scored six in 12 and Hedo Turkoglu netted 11 in 14. Jameer Nelson got the night off.
The third-seeded Magic host the No. 6 seed Toronto Raptors this weekend.
"It was about rest, and getting ready to go to work. We're playing against a great team in Toronto (in the playoffs)," said Howard, who became the youngest player in history to lead the NBA in rebounding with 14.2 per game. "We've got to play our game. We're very motivated for the playoff season."
Andray Blatche had 20 points and 11 rebounds for Washington, which rested its starters as well. Gilbert Arenas, Antawn Jamison and Caron Butler all sat out, while DeShawn Stevenson scored just three points in 13 minutes.
The fifth-seeded Wizards are preparing to face the No. 4 seed Cleveland Cavaliers in the first round for a third straight season.
"Our young guys had a chance to play a little bit, and now it's time for the big dogs to start hunting," Washington coach Eddie Jordan said. "The playoffs start and our top eight or nine guys seem ready and healthy. Right now, it's a different day. Now, we start talking about the playoffs."
ORLANDO 103 FINAL
Apr 16 9:11 PM
ORLANDO 70 END, 3RD QTR
Apr 16 8:42 PM
ORLANDO 47 HALFTIME
Apr 16 8:02 PM
ORLANDO 24 END, 1ST QTR
Apr 16 7:35 PM
- Magic formally introduce Frank Vogel as their new coach May 23
- Magic officially announce Frank Vogel as new head coach May 20
- AP Source: Orlando Magic hire Frank Vogel as next coach May 19
- Thursday's Sports in Brief May 13
- How many times has your team changed coaches in the Pop era? May 12
- Scott Skiles resigns as coach of Magic after just 1 season May 12
- BC-AP Sports Preview Digest May 12
- Wizards All-Star guard John Wall undergoes knee surgery May 5
- New coach Brooks: Focus is on Wizards players, not Durant Apr 27
- Washington announces Scott Brooks as Wizards next head coach Apr 26
- Durant: Happy ex-coach Brooks back in NBA, focused on Mavs Apr 22
- AP Sources: Scott Brooks to be Washington Wizards next coach Apr 21