Dunleavy leads Pacers over HornetsOct 11, 2007 - 1:47 AM INDIANAPOLIS (Ticker) -- Even with Jermaine O'Neal on the sidelines, the Indiana Pacers were able to give new coach Jim O'Brien a victory in his debut.
Mike Dunleavy scored 15 of his 20 points in the first quarter as the Pacers posted a 101-96 victory over the New Orleans Hornets in Indiana's preseason opener on Wednesday.
Jeff Foster added 12 points and 13 rebounds for the Pacers, who hired O'Brien after suffering their worst record since the 1988-89 season under former coach Rick Carlisle last campaign.
A six-time All-Star, O'Neal had been the subject of trade rumors during the offseason and did not play as he recovers from surgery on his left knee.
Indiana, which led by 20 points at halftime, saw its lead decrease to four with 8:08 to play, but answered with a 9-1 run to push its advantage to 91-79 with 5:09 left in the game.
David West scored 17 points and Hilton Armstrong added 16 for New Orleans, which won their preseason opener over Houston on Tuesday.
Hornets first-round pick Julian Wright had eight points, 10 rebounds and two blocks in 26 minutes.
- Magic formally introduce Frank Vogel as their new coach May 23
- Magic officially announce Frank Vogel as new head coach May 20
- AP Source: Orlando Magic hire Frank Vogel as next coach May 19
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- AP Source: Knicks working to hire Jeff Hornacek as coach May 18
- Nate McMillan takes over as head coach of the Indiana Pacers May 16
- Indiana Pacers promote assistant Nate McMillan to be team's head coach May 16
- Hornets PG Kemba Walker has another surgery on left knee May 9
- Pacers seeking new voice after parting ways with Frank Vogel May 5
- Indiana Pacers not renewing contract of coach Frank Vogel May 5
- George's return has Pacers dreaming of brighter future May 2
- Hornets future unclear with 4 starters becoming free agents May 2