Yi looks sharp as Bucks top JazzOct 11, 2007 - 3:31 AM By Chris Bellamy PA SportsTicker Contributing Writer
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah (Ticker) - Give Yi Jianlian a mulligan.
After scoring just three points and quickly fouling out of his preseason debut, Yi made up for that in a single quarter in his second outing as the Milwaukee Bucks defeated the Utah Jazz, 90-81, on Wednesday night.
The 7-foot rookie forward the sixth overall pick in this year's draft scored 11 points in a five-minute span in the second quarter - knocking down four long jumpers and three free throws en route to 12 points.
Utilizing his distinct size advantage and surprising speed, Yi did most of his damage on the perimeter and was the primary offensive threat for the Bucks' reserves.
After missing his first two shots of the game including an off-balance 3-pointer with the shot clock winding down Yi settled into a rhythm, burying a 21-footer moments later.
Later in the quarter, he scored nine consecutive points for Milwaukee, including a long 3-pointer that cut a six-point deficit in half.
All-Star guard Michael Redd picked up the slack in the second half, scoring 15 of his 17 points in the third quarter alone.
His backcourt counterparts for Utah fared even better. Second-year swingman Ronnie Brewer one of four Jazz players competing for a starting job at shooting guard scored 17 points on 6-of-8 shooting and had two steals to pace Utah.
Morris Almond, the team's first-round pick and another candidate to fill the two-guard role added 10 points and five boards in his debut. Center Kyrylo Fesenko, a second-round choice traded to Utah on draft day, added seven points and a pair of blocks.
Andrei Kirilenko - who butted heads with coach Jerry Sloan in the offseason - collected 10 points, eight rebounds and four blocks for the Jazz.
UTAH 81 FINAL
Oct 10 11:19 PM
UTAH 72 END, 3RD QTR
Oct 10 10:49 PM
UTAH 43 HALFTIME
Oct 10 10:05 PM
UTAH 19 END, 1ST QTR
Oct 10 9:34 PM
- Bucks say IRS, FBI investigating email scam targeting team May 19
- Russia bans 24 basketball players in gambling case May 13
- New Jazz uniforms include sleeved alternate jersey May 12
- Utah Jazz extend contract of coach Quin Snyder May 6
- Blazers' McCollum wins NBA's Most Improved Player Apr 22
- Jazz disappointed to miss playoffs, but gain experience Apr 14
- Bucks step back on court, but future secure with new arena Apr 14
- 76ers counting on free agents, draft picks for better future Apr 14
- Kobe scores 60 points in unbelievable farewell victory Apr 14
- Police: Woman hurt trying to slide down rail at Bucks game Apr 14
- NBA Capsules Apr 14
- Solomon Hill scores 25, Pacers beat Bucks 97-92 Apr 13