Nowitzki, Mavericks easily handle PistonsOct 20, 2007 - 3:01 AM DALLAS (Ticker) -- Dirk Nowitzki and the Dallas Mavericks put this one to bed early.
Nowitzki scored 25 points and grabbed eight rebounds as the Dallas Mavericks posted a 122-94 preseason victory over the Detroit Pistons on Friday.
Josh Howard scored 20 points and Devin Harris added 17 and four assists for Dallas, which led by nine after the first quarter, 17 by halftime and 30 entering the final period.
The Mavericks, who shot 54 percent (49-of-90) from the field, evened their exhibition record at 3-3.
Nowitzki was the main culprit in the blowout, scoring 16 points in the first half.
The 2006-07 NBA Most Valuable Player, who shot 10-of-14, tallied nine in the third when Dallas extended its lead to 93-63.
Howard, who was suspended two regular-season games without pay on Friday by the NBA for his involvement in an altercation with Sacramento Kings center Brad Miller last Tuesday, also had nine in the third quarter.
Reserve Ronald Murray scored 22 points and Rasheed Wallace scored 11 for the Pistons, who shot just 40 percent (29-of-72) and fell to 3-3 in the preseason.
- The Latest: Cuban: Sure, he'd run with Clinton or Trump May 22
- Mark Cuban tells 'Meet The Press' Thunder are his title pick May 22
- Point man: Irving shines in Cavs' demolition of Raptors May 18
- How many times has your team changed coaches in the Pop era? May 12
- Mavericks guard Harris has surgeries on left toe, thumb May 10
- No longer rebuilding, Pistons hope to improve in offseason Apr 28
- Emerging trend: Coaches given president's title in NBA Apr 27
- Owners of Pistons, Cavs trying to bring MLS to Detroit Apr 26
- Nowitzki not retiring, all but certain to return to Mavs Apr 26
- Westbrook leads Thunder past Mavericks; OKC wins series 4-1 Apr 26
- Thunder use balance to advance past Mavericks Apr 26
- NBA Playoff Capsules Apr 26