Hawks cap best preseason in 24 years with win over HornetsOct 25, 2007 - 2:54 AM By Ed Cassiere PA SportsTicker Contributing Writer
OKLAHOMA CITY (Ticker) - The Atlanta Hawks capped their winningest preseason in 24 years with a 107-98 victory over the New Orleans Hornets on Wednesday night.
Joe Johnson scored 20 points and Josh Smith added 18 for the Hawks, who had six players in double figures and finished the preseason 7-1 for the first time since 1983.
Atlanta, which had the NBA's fourth-worst record in 2006-07, will open the season at home on November 2 against Dallas - the league's winningest team last season.
Atlanta took control of the game with a 24-6 run spanning seven minutes between the end of the second and beginning of the third quarter, which gave the Hawks a 64-44 lead with 8:50 left in the third.
Hawks rookie Al Horford, the third overall pick, added eight points, seven rebounds and five assists.
Second-year center Hilton Armstrong, starting in place of Tyson Chandler, led New Orleans with 25 points and 14 rebounds and exceeded his rookie highs in both categories.
Chris Paul added 15 points and five assists for the Hornets, who never cut the deficit to less than seven points during the second half.
New Orleans will play its final preseason game Friday against Charlotte at Winston-Salem, North Carolina.
The Hornets open the season at home on October 31 against Sacramento.
NEW ORLEANS 98 FINAL
Oct 24 10:34 PM
NEW ORLEANS 73 END, 3RD QTR
Oct 24 10:03 PM
NEW ORLEANS 40 HALFTIME
Oct 24 9:12 PM
NEW ORLEANS 28 END, 1ST QTR
Oct 24 8:38 PM
- Point man: Irving shines in Cavs' demolition of Raptors May 18
- After long overseas career, Nets coach Atkinson back in NY May 16
- After fallback season, Hawks look to rise again in East May 9
- Hornets PG Kemba Walker has another surgery on left knee May 9
- Love, James lead Cavs to another sweep, 100-99 over Hawks May 9
- Big Three leads Cavaliers back to Eastern Conference finals May 9
- NBA Playoff Capsules May 8
- Cavs looks unstoppable as they eye another playoff sweep May 8
- Cavaliers-Hawks Preview May 7
- Cavs looks unstoppable as they eye another playoff sweep May 7
- Frye leads another 3-point barrage, Cavs beat Hawks 121-108 May 7
- NBA Playoff Capsules May 7