James, Hornets shoot down SpursOct 11, 2008 - 3:03 AM By Brian Guerra PA SportsTicker Contributing Writer
SAN ANTONIO (Ticker) -- The New Orleans Hornets spoiled Tim Duncan's preseason debut by defeating the San Antonio Spurs, 89-84, on Friday.
Mike James, who was 3-of-4 from behind the arc, led all scorers with 18 points. Tyson Chandler was hot early for the Hornets, scoring six of his 14 points in the game's first five minutes, while David West pitched in with 12.
Duncan, who did not play in the second half, led the Spurs with 12 points in 18 minutes. Tony Parker, who played 16 first-half minutes, added 10 points.
San Antonio (0-2) held a 51-49 halftime lead. The Hornets went on a 10-2 run, which was capped by a jumper by Morris Peterson, en route to a 61-53 advantage with 4:22 left in the third quarter and never looked back.
Chris Paul had nine points and seven assists for New Orleans, which improved to 3-0 this preseason.
The Spurs played without Manu Ginobili, Fabricio Oberto, Kurt Thomas and Ime Udoka, who all were in street clothes.
George Hill, the Spurs' first-round pick, entered the game midway through the first quarter and was aggressive, scoring five points in three minutes. He finished with 10 points on 3-of-9 shooting.
Matt Bonner was the only starter for the Spurs who played in the second half.
NEW ORLEANS 89
SAN ANTONIO 84 FINAL
Oct 10 10:42 PM
NEW ORLEANS 69
SAN ANTONIO 60 END, 3RD QTR
Oct 10 10:13 PM
NEW ORLEANS 49
SAN ANTONIO 51 HALFTIME
Oct 10 9:35 PM
NEW ORLEANS 31
SAN ANTONIO 30 END, 1ST QTR
Oct 10 9:05 PM
- Spurs-Thunder Preview May 23
- Thunder will try to bounce back after big loss to Warriors May 20
- 24 teams set for NBA Summer League in Las Vegas in July May 18
- Cavs 9-0 in these playoffs, and joining rarefied NBA air May 18
- Defending champion Warriors expect tough task from Thunder May 16
- Capsule preview of the Warriors-Thunder West finals May 15
- Durant, Thunder beat Spurs and return to conference finals May 13
- Spurs unsure if Duncan or Ginobili will return May 13
- Thunder beat Spurs, advance to Western Conference finals May 13
- How many times has your team changed coaches in the Pop era? May 12
- Spurs' Duncan competing with Thunder, Father Time May 12
- Spurs' Duncan competing with Thunder, Father Time May 11