Quayle leads Utah State to 71-61 win over BYUDec 3, 2009 - 4:48 AM LOGAN, Utah(AP) -- Jared Quayle scored 22 points, including 18 in the second half, to lead Utah State past in-state rival Brigham Young 71-61 Wednesday night.
Quayle dropped in 5 of 11 shots and 11 of 13 from the free throw line to lead the Aggies (3-3).
BYU (5-1) was led by Jimmer Fredette with 19 points. Chris Miles added 11. BYU shot 50 percent from behind the 3-point line in the first half but managed only 12 percent in the second.
Utah State took the lead for good at the 17:08 mark of the second half when Quayle hit two free throws. Freshman Preston Medlin then sank two consecutive 3-pointers for Utah State, and Quayle added another to keep BYU in a hole.
In the first half, the Cougars took a quick 10-3 lead but then went 7 minutes without scoring, allowing Utah State to take a brief 11-10 lead.
- NCAA BB
UTAH ST 71 FINAL
Dec 2 11:09 PM
- NCAA BB
UTAH ST 32 HALFTIME
Dec 2 9:58 PM
- Utah State's Jalen Moore to submit name for NBA draft Mar 25
- BYU freshman phenom Emery having record-setting season Feb 26
- BYU escapes with 69-67 win over San Diego Feb 19
- Utah coach says 'toxic' atmosphere halted BYU series Jan 11
- Utah cancels basketball game against BYU next season Jan 6
- BYU guard Nick Emery suspended 1 game for punching opponent Dec 3
- BYU's Kyle Collinsworth relishes Mr. Triple-Double title Dec 3
- Utah State downs Union (Tenn.) 73-49 Nov 20
- No. 17 Oklahoma women rebound to defeat BYU 73-47 Nov 19
- Ole Miss surges back to beat BYU in Dayton Mar 18
- BYU and Ole Miss meet in NCAA Tournament's first round Mar 17
- No. 7 Gonzaga beats BYU to win 14th WCC title Mar 11