Fairfield holds off winless Marist 70-61Dec 4, 2009 - 4:40 AM BRIDGEPORT, Conn.(AP) -- Anthony Johnson scored 15 points to help Fairfield hold off winless Marist 70-61 on Thursday night in the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference opener for both teams.
After a first half that featured spurts by both teams, the Stags (5-2) took a 29-25 lead into halftime.
The Red Foxes, who made 7 of 14 shots from beyond the arc in the second half, tied the game at 38 with 14:04 left and led 45-44 with 8:07 remaining.
Fairfield then went on a 13-1 run, sparked by Derek Needham's 3-pointer, to lead 57-46 with 3:48 to go.
Marist (0-5) could get no closer than seven the rest of the way.
Needham added 14 points and seven assists for the Stags and Yorel Hawkins chipped in 14 points.
Fairfield shot 47.1 percent (24-for-51) from the field for the game and 64 percent (16-for-25) from the free throw line.
Dejuan Goodwin scored 18 points for the Red Foxes.
- NCAA BB
FAIRFIELD 70 FINAL
Dec 3 10:00 PM
- NCAA BB
FAIRFIELD 29 HALFTIME
Dec 3 8:56 PM
- No. 4 Duke reaches triple digits in rout of Fairfield Nov 15
- No. 4 Duke gets right back to work against Fairfield Nov 15
- Marist hires Maker to replace Bower Jun 17
- Harrell lifts Louisville over Fairfield Nov 23
- Hall of Fame Tip Off pits Cardinals against Stags Nov 23
- Marist names Bower men's basketball coach Apr 11
- Loyola-Maryland captures first MAAC title since '94 Mar 6
- Stags and Greyhounds meet for MAAC Tournament title Mar 5
- Connecticut shakes off Fairfield Dec 22
- No.8 Huskies host Stags in Hartford Dec 22
- No. 2 Kentucky hosts Marist is 2011-12 lidlifter Nov 11
- Wayns leads Villanova in rout of Marist Nov 16