Cent. Connecticut State beats St. Francis 63-50Dec 4, 2009 - 3:03 AM NEW YORK(AP) -- David Simmons scored 11 points and had a career-high 14 rebounds for his fifth career double-double to lead Central Connecticut State to a 63-50 victory over St. Francis (N.Y.) in the Northeast Conference opener on Thursday night.
Shemik Thompson scored 17 points to lead the Blue Devils (2-3), who have won nine straight against the Terriers (1-5).
Central Connecticut State went 8-for-8 from the free throw line in the final 1:30 after building a second half lead.
The Blue Devils scored the first seven points of the second half and held St. Francis scoreless for the first 5:40. Central Connecticut State's Joe Efese and Ross Pentland scored on consecutive layups for a 40-29 lead with 10:48 left in the game.
Efese scored 12 points and Joe Seymore added 10 points for the Blue Devils.
Ricky Cadell led St. Francis with 19 points and Akeem Bennett added 10 points.
- NCAA BB
CENTRAL CONN 63
ST FRANCIS NY 50 FINAL
Dec 3 9:01 PM
- NCAA BB
CENTRAL CONN 27
ST FRANCIS NY 24 HALFTIME
Dec 3 7:51 PM
- Former UConn star Marshall to coach Central Connecticut Apr 6
- St. Francis Brooklyn holds off Robert Morris 82-72 Feb 20
- Dickenman retires after 20 years at Central Connecticut Feb 19
- CCSU holds off late charge by Robert Morris to win, 75-70 Feb 4
- Robert Morris uses late first-half run, beats CCSU 59-45 Jan 21
- St. Francis (BKN) holds off Robert Morris 56-49 Jan 9
- Carter, Robinson carry BC past Central Conn. 82-57 Nov 19
- Robert Morris downs St. Francis-NY for NEC crown Mar 10
- Terriers take on Colonials in NEC title tilt Mar 10
- Ross leads No. 5 Buckeyes over CCSU Dec 7
- Blue Devils face tall task in clash with fifth-ranked Buckeyes Dec 7
- No. 9 Syracuse survives scare from St. Francis Nov 18