Oral Roberts beats Missouri-Kansas City 68-57Dec 4, 2009 - 4:04 AM TULSA, Okla.(AP) -- Michael Craion doubled his season average with 21 points and had 10 rebounds to help Oral Roberts defeat Missouri-Kansas City 68-57 in the Summit League opener for both teams on Thursday night.
Craion hit 7 of 12 from the field and 7 of 11 from the free-throw line en route to a season-high scoring total. He had 12 points in the second half to help the Golden Eagles (4-4, 1-0 Summit) pull away for the victory.
Dominique Morrison added 14 points and eight rebounds for ORU, which led 33-31 at intermission after trailing for most of the first half. Morrison had 10 points in the second half.
Jay Couisnard led the Kangaroos (3-3, 0-1) with 15 points and LaTreze Mushatt added 14 points.
UMKC trailed 51-48 midway through the second half, but could not get any closer after ORU's Ken Holdman answered with three free throws.
The Golden Eagles led 60-55 with 4:08 left before reeling off seven consecutive points to seal the outcome. ORU had only one basket in a 10-minute stretch before Morrison sank a jumper with 2:46 remaining for a 64-55 advantage. Another Morrison basket gave ORU its largest lead at 67-55 with 1:15 remaining.
ORU made 24 of 32 free throws compared to 8 of 18 for the Kangaroos. The Golden Eagles outrebounded UMKC 36-24.
In the first half, after Craion opened the scoring with a basket, UMKC reeled off 11 consecutive points, including six by Trey McKinney-Jones.
ORU rallied to tie the game at 25 on Warren Niles' jumper with 4:20 left in the first half. After a basket by McKinney-Jones, ORU went on a 6-0 run for a 31-27 lead.
Baskets by McKinney-Jones and Mushatt tied the game at 31 before Morrison's two free throws with five seconds remaining gave ORU a lead it never relinquished.
Niles scored all 12 of his points in the first half. McKinney-Jones scored 12 for UMKC, which has lost three in a row.
- NCAA BB
ORAL ROBERTS 68 FINAL
Dec 3 10:06 PM
- S. Dakota St. rallies to beat ORU in Summit League tourney Mar 6
- No. 15 Oklahoma routs Oral Roberts Dec 16
- Oral Roberts visits No. 15 Oklahoma Dec 16
- No. 14 Iowa State coasts to win over UMKC Dec 10
- Kangaroos hoping to bounce past 14th-ranked Cyclones Dec 9
- Oral Roberts forced to forfeit two Southland games Jan 7
- Baylor cruises past Oral Roberts Dec 31
- Bears set sights on Golden Eagles Dec 30
- No. 11 Wichita State cruises past Oral Roberts Dec 7
- Shockers play host to Golden Eagles Dec 7
- No. 3 Louisville cruises past UMKC Dec 4
- No. 7 Louisville takes on UMKC Dec 4