Wichita State prevails over Texas Southern, 74-43Dec 4, 2009 - 3:13 AM WICHITA, Kan.(AP) -- Garrett Stutz had 14 points to lead a balanced Wichita State effort as the Shockers defeated Texas Southern 74-43 Thursday night.
Wichita State (6-1) scored 46 second-half points and was 16 of 18 from the free-throw line. J.T. Durley, David Kyles and Clevin Hannah each scored 10 points for the Shockers.
Texas Southern (3-6) was led by DeAndre Hall's 14 points.
The Shockers went on an early 9-0 run to take a 12-6 lead and never trailed again. The Tigers managed only two field goals in a 16-minute span of the half and had nearly as many turnovers (15) as shot attempts (16) in the half. Wichita State led 28-15 at halftime.
After Texas Southern's Justin Ray hit a 3-pointer to open the second half, Wichita State went on a 16-5 run ignited by one of Kyles' two highlight dunks. That stretch included two technical fouls on Texas Southern.
- NCAA BB
TEXAS SOUTHERN 43
WICHITA ST 74 FINAL
Dec 3 9:58 PM
- NCAA BB
TEXAS SOUTHERN 15
WICHITA ST 28 HALFTIME
Dec 3 8:56 PM
- Wichita State Shockers face Miami, ready to keep on shocking Mar 18
- Wichita State ready to keep rolling, faces Arizona Mar 16
- Wichita State back healthy, faces Vanderbilt in First Four Mar 15
- No. 22 Wichita St uses balanced scoring to top Loyola 80-54 Jan 28
- New Mexico State, Wichita State to play makeup game Feb. 15 Jan 18
- Winter storm forces New Mexico St-Wichita St postponement Dec 28
- Wichita State says F Grady's back injury improving Nov 28
- Grady hurt in No. 20 Wichita State loss to Alabama Nov 27
- No. 10 Shockers enter season with high expectations again Nov 3
- Marshall staying at Wichita State with new deal Apr 2
- Report: Marshall staying at Wichita State with new deal Apr 2
- Notre Dame lights up Wichita State, reaches Elite Eight Mar 27