Late dunk lifts Howard past Hampton 56-54Dec 6, 2009 - 4:08 AM NEW YORK(AP) -- Paul Kirkpatrick dunked with 5 seconds left and Howard won its first game of the season, beating Hampton 56-54 on Saturday night in the Big Apple Classic at Madison Square Garden.
It was also the Mid-Eastern Conference season opener for both teams, as the Bison (1-8) took a 54-51 lead on Adam Walker's jumper with 36 seconds to play. Hampton's Vincent Simpson tied the game at 54 on a 3-pointer 20 seconds later.
But Kirkpatrick, who led the Bison with 13 points and 10 rebounds, put them ahead for good on his dunk. Simpson, who finished with 10 points, missed a 3-point attempt as time expired.
Howard's Calvin Thompson had 11 points and six rebounds.
Curtis White had a game-high 14 points for the Pirates (2-7).
The Bison won despite shooting 32.7 percent (18-for-55) from the field compared to Hampton, which shot 44.7 percent (21-for-47).
- NCAA BB
HAMPTON 54 FINAL
Dec 5 10:02 PM
- NCAA BB
HAMPTON 23 HALFTIME
Dec 5 9:00 PM
- UVa routs Hampton 81-45 after Bennett collapses, returns Mar 17
- No. 1 seed Virginia keeps focus on Hampton - not Spartans Mar 16
- Kentucky starts slow, still pummels Hampton Mar 20
- No. 1 Kentucky opens with matchup against Hampton Mar 19
- Hampton tops Manhattan, advances to play Kentucky Mar 18
- Hampton and Manhattan open NCAA Tournament Mar 17
- Hampton tops Delaware State for MEAC title Mar 14
- Hampton, Delaware State battle in MEAC championship Mar 14
- No. 23 Syracuse takes down Hampton Nov 16
- Pirates come calling on 23rd-ranked Orange Nov 16
- No. 17 Kansas downs Howard Dec 30
- Kansas welcomes Howard to Lawrence Dec 29