San Diego State holds off UC Santa Barbara 69-61Dec 6, 2009 - 6:01 AM SANTA BARBARA, Calif.(AP) -- Tyrone Shelley scored 17 points and grabbed eight rebound, Malcolm Thomas added 15 points and San Diego State got by UC Santa Barbara 69-61 Saturday night.
Kawhi Leonard (nine rebounds) and D.J. Gay each finished with 13 points for the Aztecs (6-2), who shot 50.9 percent and never trailed.
James Powell hit six 3-pointers and led the Gauchos (4-2) with 20 points.
San Diego State led 43-34 with 15:30 remaining before UC Santa Barbara mounted its most serious charge, an 18-10 run to pull within 53-52.
The Aztecs quickly built their advantage back to nine, 62-53, with 7:18 to play, but the Gauchos wouldn't go away. They pulled to within three points twice in the final two minutes but couldn't get any closer.
San Diego State led by as many as 12 points in the first half but went into intermission only up 28-26.
- NCAA BB
SAN DIEGO ST 69
UC SNTA BARBARA 61 FINAL
Dec 6 12:04 AM
- NCAA BB
SAN DIEGO ST 28
UC SNTA BARBARA 26 HALFTIME
Dec 5 10:51 PM
- Playing in the Garden nice consolation prize for Aztecs Mar 25
- Fisher's Aztecs looking for 7th straight NCAA tourney berth Mar 9
- SDSU tops San Jose State 78-56 to clinch share of MWC title Feb 21
- San Diego St. 9-0 at halfway point of Mountain West schedule Feb 1
- San Diego State says basketball program cleared by NCAA Jan 5
- Hagins scores 14 as Little Rock stuns San Diego St. 49-43 Nov 21
- Cheatham brings 'good energy' to Fisher's Aztecs Nov 4
- It's now Steve Fisher Court at San Diego State Oct 29
- Duke crushes San Diego State to reach Sweet 16 Mar 22
- Blue Devils battle Aztecs in South Regional action Mar 22
- San Diego State holds off St. John's to advance Mar 21
- Red Storm tangle with Aztecs in South Region Mar 20