Dews leads Miami past South Carolina State 91-54Dec 13, 2009 - 2:52 AM CORAL GABLES, Fla.(AP) -- James Dews scored 20 points as Miami rebounded from its first loss to defeat South Carolina State 91-54 on Saturday night.
In its first game since Sunday's 61-60 loss at Boston College, Miami (9-1) was never threatened after a 14-0 run late in the first half. Dews converted on two of four Hurricanes 3-pointers during the spurt and finished with six behind the arc. Adrian Thomas' 3-pointer capped the run with 5:35 left in the half, increasing Miami's lead to 37-18.
Miami tied a school record with 15 3-pointers, set against Georgetown on March 3, 1993.
The Hurricanes made nine 3-pointers in the first half, including four in the opening 6:36 for a 20-8 advantage. Tyvon Williams' 3-pointer with 10:40 left in the half was the Bulldogs' final field goal before the Hurricanes' 14-0 run.
Arsenio Williams led South Carolina State (5-2) with 13 points.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
SOUTH CAROLINA STATE 25 29 54
MIAMI (FL) 40 51 91 FINAL
HIGH SCORERS: SOUTH CAROLINA STATE - ARSENIO WILLIAMS 13, BRANDON SMALLS 12,
WESTLEY TELFARE 10
MIAMI (FL) - JAMES DEWS 20, REGGIE JOHNSON 11, TWO
PLAYERS WITH 10
Dec 12 9:11 PM
- NCAA BB
HALFTIME 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
SOUTH CAROLINA STATE 25 25
MIAMI (FL) 40 40 HALFTIME
HIGH SCORERS AT HALFTIME
SOUTH CAROLINA STATE - WESTLEY TELFARE 5, THREE PLAYERS WITH 4
MIAMI (FL) - JAMES DEWS 12, DURAND SCOTT 6,
ADRIAN THOMAS 6
Dec 12 8:12 PM
- Australian Vasiljevic signs to play basketball for Miami Apr 13
- Miami Hurricanes sophomore James Palmer decides to transfer Mar 28
- Miami falls to 0-3 in Sweet 16, routed 92-69 by Villanova Mar 25
- Friendship will take a backseat in Villanova-Miami matchup Mar 23
- Miami plays Villanova with chance at 1st Elite 8 berth Mar 21
- Wichita State Shockers face Miami, ready to keep on shocking Mar 18
- Fast-paced game expected in Miami, Buffalo matchup Mar 16
- Larranaga hopes Miami can recapture George Mason's magic Mar 8
- Larranaga optimistic No. 7 Hurricanes will finish strong Feb 29
- Miami's Newton suspended 3 games for violating team rules Feb 27
- No. 11 Hurricanes to face 4 ranked teams in 12 days Feb 18
- 7-foot Tonye Jekiri a big reason for Hurricanes' success Feb 11