Penn beats Md-Baltimore County 82-71 for 1st winJan 7, 2010 - 3:36 AM BALTIMORE, Md.(AP) -- Zack Rosen scored 28 points to lead four Penn players in double figures as the Quakers defeated Maryland-Baltimore County 82-71 for their first win of the season Wednesday night.
Penn (1-11) was 13-for-24 from 3-point range, with Darren Smith scoring all 15 of his points by going 5-for-8 from beyond the arc. Rosen was 4-for-7 from long range.
The first half featured five ties, with Penn leading 35-33 at halftime. The Retrievers (1-13) opened the second half with four straight points, but the Quakers used an 11-2 spurt to lead 46-39 with 15:09 left. Penn extended the lead to 68-55 with 5:27 remaining.
Conor Turley added 13 points and Dan Monckton had 11 for Penn.
Paced by Jack Eggleston's 11 rebounds, the Quakers outrebounded UMBC 35-21.
Chris De La Rosa scored a career-high 28 points for the Retrievers and Chauncey Gilliam added 18 points, 16 in the first half.
- NCAA BB
UMBC 71 FINAL
Jan 6 9:25 PM
- NCAA BB
UMBC 33 HALFTIME
Jan 6 8:15 PM
- Penn holds on to beat Robert Morris 76-75 Nov 13
- Donahue tries to revitalize career, sagging program at Penn Nov 12
- Penn names Steve Donahue men's hoops coach Mar 16
- Penn coach Allen resigns Mar 9
- No. 5 Villanova pulls away to beat Penn Jan 17
- Penn faces tall task in clash with No. 5 Villanova Jan 17
- Villanova pulls away from Penn in Big-5 clash Dec 5
- Red-hot Villanova hosts local rival Penn Dec 4
- Jones helps No. 17 Butler top Penn Jan 3
- No. 17 Butler plays host to Penn Jan 2
- UMBC's Monroe resigns Oct 10
- Former NBA, college coach Dick Harter dies Mar 13