Northern Illinois defeats Ball State 62-48Jan 9, 2010 - 10:17 PM MUNCIE, Ind.(AP) -- Xavier Silas scored 25 points, going 15-for-15 from the free-throw line, as Northern Illinois defeated Ball State 62-48 on Saturday.
It was the Mid-American Conference opener for both schools.
Ball State led 26-24 at halftime, but after Silas' layup in the first minute of the second half, the Cardinals never led again.
Silas scored 20 of Northern Illinois' 38 second-half points. He also had nine rebounds in the game.
Michael Fakuade had 10 points, despite being limited to 11 minutes by foul trouble, and Darion Anderson 10 rebounds for the Huskies (5-8, 1-0).
Malik Perry led Ball State (6-7, 0-1) with 14 points. The Cardinals went 6-for-31 (19 percent) from the field in the second half and finished the game at 27 percent.
- NCAA BB
NORTHN ILLINOIS 62
BALL ST 48 FINAL
Jan 9 4:15 PM
- NCAA BB
NORTHN ILLINOIS 24
BALL ST 26 HALFTIME
Jan 9 2:55 PM
- Ball State hangs on to beat Valparaiso 69-66 Nov 28
- Panthers battle Redbirds in MVC melee Jan 25
- Notre Dame rolls through NIU Dec 22
- Irish play host to Huskies Dec 22
- No. 19 San Diego State cruises past Ball State Dec 21
- Cardinals pay visit to 19th-ranked Aztecs Dec 20
- No. 25 Utah takes care of Ball State Nov 15
- No. 25 Utah opens season against Ball State Nov 14
- Northern Illinois extends Montgomery through 2018 Apr 18
- Iowa State blows through Northern Illinois Jan 1
- Cyclones put perfect mark on line against visiting Huskies Dec 31
- No. 22 UMass crushes Northern Illinois Dec 14