St. Francis (N.Y.) beats Columbia 59-53Jan 12, 2010 - 2:42 AM NEW YORK(AP) -- Akeem Bennett scored 25 points and St. Francis (N.Y.) beat Columbia 59-53 on Monday night.
Ricky Cadell scored 14 points for the Terriers (5-9), who had lost three of their last four games - all by eight points or less - before Monday.
Columbia led most of the first half and held a 25-14 lead with 19:11 to play in the game. The Terriers whittled away at the lead and tied the game on a layup by Bennett with 9:52 remaining. Two free throws by Bennett gave the Terriers a 56-47 lead with 56 seconds to play.
The Terriers made 10 of 14 free throws in the final two minutes to preserve the win.
Noruwa Agho led the Lions (6-8) with 21 points, his eighth 20-point game of the season. The Lions entered the game as the No. 1 3-point shooting team in the nation at 46.8 percent, but made only 26.1 percent from behind the arc (6 of 23).
- NCAA BB
ST FRANCIS NY 59
COLUMBIA 53 FINAL
Jan 11 8:56 PM
- NCAA BB
ST FRANCIS NY 14
COLUMBIA 23 HALFTIME
Jan 11 7:44 PM
- Columbia hires Jim Engles as new basketball coach Apr 5
- St. Francis Brooklyn holds off Robert Morris 82-72 Feb 20
- St. Francis (BKN) holds off Robert Morris 56-49 Jan 9
- Lo's 8 3s lead Columbia to 78-71 win over Robert Morris Dec 14
- Robert Morris downs St. Francis-NY for NEC crown Mar 10
- Terriers take on Colonials in NEC title tilt Mar 10
- No. 1 Kentucky rallies to beat Columbia Dec 10
- No. 1 Kentucky plays host to Columbia Dec 10
- No. 9 Syracuse survives scare from St. Francis Nov 18
- Terriers take on Orange in Maui Invitational regional action Nov 18
- No. 2 Michigan State holds off Columbia Nov 15
- Lions hit road seeking upset of second-ranked Spartans Nov 15