Gruber helps Brown defeat Yale 75-66Jan 16, 2010 - 2:45 AM NEW HAVEN, Conn.(AP) -- Steve Gruber came off the bench to score 15 points as Brown beat Yale 75-66 Friday night in the Ivy League opener for both teams.
The game was tied five times in the second half. Knotted at 43 with 13:56 left, the Bears (7-11) went on a 10-2 run, capped by a 3-pointer by Gruber who had seven points in the spurt. After the Bulldogs (6-12) pulled within three, Brown used a 10-1 run to pull away, ending Yale's two-game winning streak.
Matt Mullery, the Bears' leader in scoring, rebounding, assists and blocked shots who injured his ankle against Army on Jan. 6, returned after a one-game absence. He played 27 minutes and scored five points, shooting 1-for-7 from the field as the Bears ended a two-game skid.
Andrew McCarthy added 14 points for Brown, which trailed 31-29 at halftime.
Michael Sands led Yale with 15 points. Alex Zampier and Michael Grace scored 14 apiece.
- NCAA BB
YALE 66 FINAL
Jan 15 8:54 PM
- NCAA BB
YALE 31 HALFTIME
Jan 15 7:47 PM
- Cal freshman star Jaylen Brown to declare for NBA draft Apr 21
- Defending champ Duke, upstart Yale ready for 2nd round clash Mar 18
- From controversy to NCAA upset artist, Yale eyeing more Mar 18
- Yale blocks out captain's dismissal heading to NCAA tourney Mar 16
- Former Yale captain says he'll sue school over expulsion Mar 14
- Yale, without captain, celebrates first bid in 54 years Mar 13
- Yale team navigates campus anger amid NCAA Tournament bid Mar 10
- Yale captain Montague won't return to Ivy league leaders Feb 24
- Hall of Fame coach Larry Brown back for No. 10 SMU Jan 11
- Larry Brown not on No. 15 SMU bench after halftime Jan 10
- SMU's Brown set for return after 9-game NCAA suspension Dec 21
- SMU opener marks start of Larry Brown's NCAA suspension Nov 12