Loyola Marymount tops Santa Clara 81-70Jan 17, 2010 - 6:40 AM LOS ANGELES(AP) -- Ashley Hamilton scored 15 points and had 10 rebounds and Jared DuBois added 17 points as Loyola Marymount defeated Santa Clara 81-70 Saturday night.
The Lions (10-9, 1-2 West Coast Conference) build a 21-point lead in the first half and nearly let it get away as the Broncos pulled to within three in the second half.
Marc Trasolini led Santa Clara (8-13, 0-4) with 17 points and Michael Santos added 14 points.
Loyola Marymount hit eight of its first nine shots and jumped out to a 25-4 lead with 13:07 left before halftime. The Broncos cut the deficit to 45-32 at intermission and after a 10-5 run were within 56-53 with 9:56 to play.
The Lions then responded with a 7-2 run, and Santa Clara didn't threaten again.
Vernon Teel also had a double-double for Loyola Marymount, finishing with 10 points and 10 rebounds.
- NCAA BB
SANTA CLARA 70
LOYOLA MARYMNT 81 FINAL
Jan 17 1:16 AM
- NCAA BB
SANTA CLARA 32
LOYOLA MARYMNT 45 HALFTIME
Jan 17 12:00 AM
- Santa Clara hopes Sendek can lift team to WCC elite Mar 30
- Santa Clara hires Herb Sendek as new head coach Mar 29
- Santa Clara fires basketball coach Kerry Keating Mar 7
- No. 3 Gonzaga blows past Loyola Marymount Feb 13
- Lions face tall task in clash with third-ranked Bulldogs Feb 12
- Gonzaga pulls away in second half, tops Santa Clara Feb 6
- Broncos face tall task in clash with second-ranked Bulldogs Feb 5
- Balanced Zags beat LMU Jan 18
- First vs. worst in the WCC, as Zags visit Lions Jan 17
- Gonzaga rolls over Santa Clara Jan 11
- Broncos battle Bulldogs in WCC fracas Jan 10
- Wichita State has no problem with Loyola Marymount Dec 23