NC A&T pulls away from South Carolina St. 67-58Jan 24, 2010 - 12:05 AM ORANGEBURG, S.C.(AP) -- Tavarus Alston scored 18 points and North Carolina A&T pulled away late to defeat South Carolina State 67-58 on Saturday after losing a 12-point lead.
The Aggies (6-13, 2-4 Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference) closed the first half with a 15-6 run for a 36-27 lead, and Alston's 3-pointer to start the second half increased the margin to 12.
The Bulldogs (8-8, 2-3) battled back for a tie at 48 with 10:02 remaining after consecutive tip-ins by Arsenio Williams.
North Carolina A&T made its next five shots from the field, starting with Nic Simpson's 3-pointer with 9:44 left that began a 15-3 run to make it 63-51 at the 3:50 mark. The Aggies made seven of their final eight shots from the field.
Dwane Joshua scored 12 points and Simpson 11 for the Aggles.
Jason Flagler led South Carolina State with 20 points and 10 rebounds. Darnell Porter had 17 points and seven rebounds.
- NCAA BB
NC A&T 67
S CAROLINA ST 58 FINAL
Jan 23 6:06 PM
- NCAA BB
NC A&T 36
S CAROLINA ST 27 HALFTIME
Jan 23 5:05 PM
- Veteran North Carolina aims to end where it starts: at No. 1 Nov 2
- No. 12 Ohio State routs NC A&T Dec 17
- Hapless Aggies challenge mighty Buckeyes Dec 17
- No. 9 Virginia cruises past SC State Nov 18
- SC State faces tall task in bout with No. 9 Virginia Nov 18
- Hot shooting leads Michgian past South Carolina State Nov 12
- SC State pays visit to No. 7 Michigan Nov 12
- Top-seeded Louisville cruises past N.C. A&T Mar 21
- Top-seeded Cardinals get tournament run underway against Aggies Mar 20
- Flame Out: NC A&T edges Liberty in Tourney opener Mar 19
- NCAA Tournament gets underway as Aggies take on Flames Mar 19
- NC A&T wins MEAC Mar 16