McNeese St. 68, Cent. Arkansas 53Jan 24, 2010 - 12:22 AM CONWAY, Ark. (AP) -- Patrick Richard scored 17 points to lead McNeese State past Central Arkansas 68-53 on Saturday.
Diego Kapelan added 16 points and Stephan Martin 11 for the Cowboys (7-11, 2-2 Southland). P.J. Alawoya was a defensive force with nine rebounds and four blocked shots.
Chris Poellnitz and Imad Qahwash led the Bears (7-12, 1-4) with 13 points each. Mitch Rueter added 12. Tadre Sheppard had eight rebounds, five blocks and five steals.
McNeese State scored the game's first nine points. Central Arkansas did not get on the board until Qahwash sank a free throw after 5:03 had been played. McNeese State led 34-21 at intermission.
The Cowboys enjoyed their biggest lead with 16:47 left after Alawoya's basket made it 43-21. Central Arkansas completed an 11-2 run when Poellnitz scored to trim the deficit to 55-49 with 4:45 left. But McNeese State ended the game on a 13-4 roll.
- NCAA BB
MCNEESE ST 68
CENTRAL ARK 53 FINAL
Jan 23 6:59 PM
- NCAA BB
MCNEESE ST 34
CENTRAL ARK 21 HALFTIME
Jan 23 5:54 PM
- No. 21 Nebraska takes care of Central Arkansas Nov 19
- Bears hope to claw way past 21st-ranked Cornhuskers Nov 18
- San Diego State blows past McNeese State Dec 22
- No. 24 San Diego State entertains McNeese State Dec 21
- Balanced attack sends Michigan State past McNeese State Nov 9
- No. 2 Michigan State opens against McNeese State Nov 8
- North Carolina routs McNeese State Dec 22
- McNeese State comes calling on No. 23 North Carolina Dec 22
- No. 24 Cowboys set sights on Bears Dec 16
- Lamar downs McNeese State in Southland final Mar 11
- Cardinals and Cowboys clash for Southland crown Mar 10
- UNLV drops 124 on overmatched Central Arkansas Dec 29