Massachusetts 87, Saint Joseph's 80Jan 28, 2010 - 3:29 AM PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- Ricky Harris scored 23 points and Massachusetts used a second-half run to pull away from Saint Joseph's 87-80 on Wednesday night, snapping a five-game skid.
The Minutemen (8-12, 2-4 Atlantic 10 Conference) squandered an early 12-point lead. Trailing 56-54 with 13:06 left, they went on a 15-2 run, keyed by a pair of Freddie Riley 3-pointers, to pull ahead 69-58 with 9:17 to go. The Hawks (8-12, 2-4) answered with a 9-2 run to draw within 71-67 with 5:15 left, but could get no closer. Saint Joseph's missed 4 of 6 free throws down the stretch while Massachusetts made 12 of 14 to end the Hawks' three-game winning streak.
Massachusetts outrebounded the Hawks 44-31 and had a season-high 11 scorers. Terrell Vinson added 16 points and Riley had 14.
The Hawks were led by Garrett Williamson with 16 points, 10 assists, six steals and three blocks. Idris Hilliard had 14 points.
- NCAA BB
SAINT JOSEPHS 80 FINAL
Jan 27 9:41 PM
- NCAA BB
SAINT JOSEPHS 37 HALFTIME
Jan 27 7:52 PM
- Versatility a key as top-seed Oregon faces St. Joseph's Mar 19
- Saint Joseph's and Cincinnati to play in 1st round of NCAAs Mar 17
- Saint Joseph's flying high as Atlantic 10 contenders Feb 19
- Saint Joseph's rolls to 75-60 win over Penn Jan 20
- No. 25 VCU survives challenge from UMass Feb 21
- UMass pays visit to No. 25 VCU Feb 21
- Sharp shooting leads VCU past Saint Joseph's Jan 11
- Hawks seek upset of 20th-ranked Rams Jan 10
- No. 10 Villanova rolls past Saint Joseph's Dec 6
- Bitter rivals clash, as Hawks visit Wildcats Dec 6
- No. 13 Gonzaga rips SJU Nov 20
- Hawks fly west to take on 13th-ranked Bulldogs Nov 19