Akron defeats Western Michigan 79-70Jan 28, 2010 - 2:56 AM KALAMAZOO, Mich.(AP) -- Four players scored in double figures and Akron shot 53 percent from the floor to defeat Western Michigan 79-70 Wednesday night.
Jimmy Conyers and Brett McKnight scored 11 points each for Akron and Chris McKnight and Nikola Cvetinovic had 10 apiece. Two other players, Darryl Roberts and Brett McClanahan, scored nine. All of Roberts' points came at the free-throw line, where Akron went 23-for-31. The Zips never trailed and led by 18 early in the second half.
The balance of the Zips (14-6, 4-2 Mid-American) overcame David Kool's 30-point night for Western Michigan (11-8, 3-3). Donald Lawson had 12 points and 14 rebounds for the Broncos, who shot 41 percent from the floor.
Kool became Western Michigan's all-time scoring leader with 1,790 points, two ahead of Manny Newsome. He was 11-for-20 from the floor, but the rest of the Broncos went 13-for-38.
- NCAA BB
WESTRN MICHIGAN 70 FINAL
Jan 27 9:34 PM
- NCAA BB
WESTRN MICHIGAN 27 HALFTIME
Jan 27 7:52 PM
- Western Michigan defeats Rochester (Mich) 85-73 Nov 23
- Syracuse dominates Western Michigan in NCAA opener Mar 20
- Broncos and Orange clash in South Region's second round Mar 20
- Western Michigan takes down Toledo to win MAC title Mar 16
- MAC crown to be decided, as Rockets challenge Broncos Mar 15
- Niang paces Cyclones over Zips Dec 23
- Iowa State and Akron meet in Diamond Head Classic Dec 23
- Missouri tops Western Michigan, extends home streak Dec 15
- Tigers hope to continue perfect run against visiting Broncos Dec 15
- Daniels, Reddic lead Rams in rout of Zips Mar 22
- Akron takes on VCU in second round of NCAA Tournament Mar 20
- Akron routs Ohio for MAC title Mar 17