Morehead State defeats Tennessee State 65-50Jan 29, 2010 - 4:57 AM NASHVILLE, Tenn.(AP) -- Kenneth Faried had 23 points and 21 rebounds to lead Morehead State to a 65-50 win over Tennessee State on Thursday night.
Maze Stallworth added 19 points and Demonte Harper had 10 for the Eagles (15-6, 9-1 Ohio Valley Conference), who have won 11 in a row.
Both teams shot below 40 percent from the field, but a wide rebounding margin (45-32) made the difference for the Tigers. They pulled down 18 offensive boards.
Morehead State led 28-22 at halftime and pushed the lead to 40-24 before Tennessee State made a 14-2 run to trim the lead to 42-38 on a tip-in by Lonnie Funderburk with 10:48 remaining. The Tigers built the lead back to 54-46, then made an 11-0 run for its largest lead at 65-46 with 1:36 to play. Two free throws by Stallworth capped the run.
Darius Cox had 10 points and 10 rebounds for the Tigers (4-18, 1-9) and Jacquan Nobles also had 10.
- NCAA BB
MOREHEAD ST 65
TENNESSEE ST 50 FINAL
Jan 28 10:55 PM
- NCAA BB
MOREHEAD ST 28
TENNESSEE ST 22 HALFTIME
Jan 28 9:59 PM
- Morehead State beats Jacksonville State 82-71 Feb 27
- Morehead State routs NAIA St. Catharine 105-66 Feb 16
- Wofford wallops ETSU 87-73 as Collins scores 24 Jan 28
- Guyn's 26 lead E. Tennessee St. in 103-90 win over Green Bay Nov 17
- Racers rally to beat Morehead State in OVC semis Mar 7
- Eagles challenge Racers in OVC semifinals Mar 6
- Hapless Tigers challenge high-flying Frogs Dec 29
- Offense carries Buckeyes past Morehead State Dec 13
- Eagles and Buckeyes square off in non-conference action Dec 13
- Anderson, Gill power No. 8 Virginia past Tennessee State Nov 26
- Tennessee State comes calling on No. 8 Virginia Nov 25
- Tennessee State names Dana Ford head coach Apr 21