Montana St. 79, Portland St. 71Feb 14, 2010 - 5:42 AM PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) -- Bobby Howard had 22 points and eight rebounds Saturday to lead Montana State to a 79-71 win over Portland State.
Erik Rush added 17 points for the Bobcats (13-12, 8-6 Big Sky) and Branden Johnson and Marquis Navarre each had 12.
The win was the first for Montana State in Portland since 2004.
Dominic Waters led Portland State (10-15, 5-7) with 21 points. Julius Thomas added 14 for the Vikings, who lost their fourth straight home game.
Montana State trailed 19-18 with 9:53 left in the first half before rattling off a 22-8 run to take a 40-27 lead at the break. The Bobcats led by as many as 16 points in the second half and sealed the game by hitting 10 of 12 free throws down the stretch.
MSU shot 70 percent in the first half and finished the game at 52 percent. Portland shot 42 percent for the game and was 9 for 30 from 3-point range.
- NCAA BB
MONTANA ST 79
PORTLAND ST 71 FINAL
Feb 13 11:57 PM
- NCAA BB
MONTANA ST 40
PORTLAND ST 27 HALFTIME
Feb 13 10:52 PM
- Kentucky crushes Montana St. Nov 23
- Top-ranked Kentucky continues run against Montana State Nov 23
- Oklahoma State handles Portland State Nov 25
- Vikings hope to navigate past 20th-ranked Cowboys Nov 25
- Weber State holds off Portland State 69-60 Mar 9
- Portland St. 68, Montana St. 65 Mar 7
- Portland State slips past Montana State 68-65 Mar 7
- Garcia leads Seattle past Portland State 93-80 Mar 4
- Waters, Portland State upend Weber State 84-79 Feb 28
- Montana St. 73, Montana 67 Feb 28
- Waters leads Portland State past Idaho State 98-63 Feb 27
- San Jose St. 77, Montana St. 66 Feb 20