Powell, Arkansas defeat South Carolina 92-79Feb 18, 2010 - 4:40 AM FAYETTEVILLE, Ark.(AP) -- Arkansas responded to its only loss in the last 25 days by getting back into the win column.
Freshman Marshawn Powell scored 16 of his game-high 26 points in the first half as the Razorbacks defeated South Carolina 92-79 on Wednesday night. Courtney Fortson added 19 points, nine rebounds and eight assists.
Sam Muldrow scored a career-high 23 points and grabbed eight rebounds for South Carolina, which lost for the third time in four games. Devan Downey scored 28 points for the Gamecocks (14-11, 5-6 Southeastern Conference), but the 5-foot-9 senior needed 28 shots to get them.
The Razorbacks (14-12, 7-4) led 40-33 at halftime after shooting 52.8 percent and used a 17-1 run early in the second half to pull away. The Razorbacks have scored more points in a game only once this season - in a 97-94 home loss to Morgan State on Nov. 24.
- NCAA BB
SOUTH CAROLINA 79
ARKANSAS 92 FINAL
Feb 17 11:08 PM
- NCAA BB
SOUTH CAROLINA 33
ARKANSAS 40 HALFTIME
Feb 17 9:52 PM
- South Carolina forward Raymond Doby leaving the program May 18
- Kingsley withdraws name from NBA draft, returns to Arkansas May 9
- Arkansas' Kingsley enters NBA draft, won't hire agent Apr 12
- South Carolina dismisses suspended players Gregory, Cobb Apr 4
- Gamecocks give men's coach Frank Martin 4-year extension Apr 1
- South Carolina got told it was in - except, it wasn't Mar 31
- Whitt transferring from Arkansas after freshman season Mar 30
- Offseason questions loom for Frank Martin, South Carolina Mar 23
- Anderson has NCAA tourney in sights next season for Arkansas Mar 22
- 2 South Carolina players arrested over BB gun shooting Mar 17
- 5 South Carolina players suspended before NIT game Mar 15
- South Carolina moving on from NCAA snub Mar 14