UC Riverside defeats UC Irvine, 74-57Feb 18, 2010 - 5:39 AM RIVERSIDE, Calif.(AP) -- Larry Gurganious scored 12 points and grabbed 13 rebounds as UC Riverside defeated UC Irvine, 74-57, in Big West Conference play on Wednesday night.
Kyle Austin led UC Riverside (10-15, 4-9) with 16 points. He made 10 of 15 from the free-throw line.
The Highlanders dominated on the glass outrebounding the Anteaters 47-31. The Highlanders grabbed 20 offensive boards. Austin had seven offensive boards (14 total) and Gurganious grabbed six.
Eric Wise had a game-high 22 points for UC Irvine (11-16, 4-9). He hit on 8 of 17 from the field. Darren Moore added 10 points and nine rebounds.
UC Riverside led 32-25 at the half. UC Irvine never led in the game.
This win puts the Highlanders in eighth place (they hold the tie breaker over UC Irvine) in the Big West, and the top eight teams earn a bid to the conference tournament. They have three Big West games remaining.
- NCAA BB
UC IRVINE 57
UC RIVERSIDE 74 FINAL
Feb 17 11:59 PM
- NCAA BB
UC IRVINE 25
UC RIVERSIDE 32 HALFTIME
Feb 17 10:54 PM
- Louisville edges UC Irvine, avoids upset Mar 20
- Anteaters hope to sniff out victory against seasoned Cardinals Mar 20
- UC Irvine tops Hawaii to win Big West Mar 15
- Hawaii and Anteaters battle for Big West title Mar 14
- Highlanders and Aztecs mix it up in non-conference action Dec 22
- No. 25 Utah hammers UC Riverside Nov 21
- Utes seek turnaround against visiting Highlanders Nov 21
- Arizona runs away from UC Irvine Nov 20
- No. 2 Arizona plays host to UC Irvine Nov 19
- Oregon thumps UC Irvine, moves to 10-0 Dec 18
- Anteaters face tall task in clash with undefeated Ducks Dec 17
- UC Irvine coach Turner lands contract extension Nov 7