Mercer defeats North Florida 77-67Feb 19, 2010 - 4:19 AM MACON, Ga.(AP) -- Daniel Emerson scored 20 points and grabbed 18 rebounds to help Mercer defeat North Florida 77-67 on Thursday night.
Emerson was 9 of 13 from the field for the Bears (14-13, 10-7 Atlantic Sun Conference), who were playing without their leading scorer. James Florence, averaging 19 points per game, injured his ankle against East Tennessee State on Saturday and missed his first start in 79 games.
Mercer still had plenty of scoring, as Brandon Moore had 18 points and Jeff Smith added 12.
The Bears shot 63.8 percent from the field in the second half (14 of 22), breaking a 32-32 halftime tie.
The Ospreys (12-15, 7-10) led 39-38 with 17:21 to go, and Mercer scored eight straight points to lead 46-39 on Brian Mills' free throws with 15 minutes left.
Eni Cuka scored 21 points, Matt Sauey 12 and Germaine Sparkes 11 for North Florida.
- NCAA BB
NORTH FLORIDA 67
MERCER 77 FINAL
Feb 18 9:27 PM
- NCAA BB
NORTH FLORIDA 32
MERCER 32 HALFTIME
Feb 18 8:21 PM
- Robert Morris rallies past North Florida in First Four Mar 18
- Colonials and Ospreys clash in NCAA Tournament Mar 18
- Ospreys and Spartans collide in A-Sun title bout Mar 8
- Tennessee cruises past Mercer to reach Sweet 16 Mar 23
- Mercer seeks another upset in clash with Tennessee Mar 23
- Mercer's late rally stuns Duke Mar 21
- Blue Devils and Bears meet in Midwest Regional battle Mar 21
- Mercer takes out Florida Gulf Coast for Atlantic Sun crown Mar 9
- Eagles and Bears meet in A-Sun title game Mar 9
- No. 5 Michigan State cruises past North Florida Dec 17
- Weary Ospreys come calling on fifth-ranked Spartans Dec 17
- No. 7 Ohio State crushes North Florida Nov 29