Hester leads Alabama A&M past Southern 65-54Feb 21, 2010 - 3:10 AM HUNTSVILLE, Ala.(AP) -- Cornelius Hester scored 18 points as Alabama A&M defeated Southern University 65-54 on Saturday night.
After leading 40-38 at halftime, the Bulldogs (9-12, 6-7 Southwestern Athletic Conference) began the second half with an 11-0 run to take control, 51-38. The lead remained in double figures for all but 19 seconds the rest of the way.
Both teams shot well in the first half, but went cold in the second. Alabama A&M shot 51.4 percent (18-for-35) in the opening 20 minutes before slumping to 31.3 percent (10-for-32) after halftime. The Jaguars (4-22, 2-12) shot 50 percent in the first half (14-for-28) but slipped to 20.8 percent after halftime (5-for-24).
Hester was 1-for-6 in the second half after going 6-for-8 in the first.
Bo Amusa scored 14 points for Alabama A&M.
Jameel Grace scored 15 points and Julius Ingram 14 for Southern.
- NCAA BB
ALABAMA A&M 65 FINAL
Feb 20 9:19 PM
- NCAA BB
ALABAMA A&M 40 HALFTIME
Feb 20 8:19 PM
- Unlikely qualifier Holy Cross plays Southern in First Four Mar 15
- Samford tops VMI in OT, 92-85, advances in SoCon tourney Mar 4
- Texas Southern rallies late, wins SWAC title Mar 14
- Tigers, Jaguars meet in SWAC title clash Mar 14
- No. 22 Baylor survives scare against Southern Dec 22
- Iowa State takes care of Southern Dec 15
- Cyclones hope to blow past visiting Jaguars Dec 14
- Baylor routs Southern Dec 22
- Southern hits road seeking upset of No. 12 Baylor Dec 22
- No. 1 Arizona beats Southern, moves to 12-0 Dec 20
- Top-ranked Wildcats set sights on Jaguars Dec 19
- No. 16 Florida gets past Southern Nov 18