Longwood knocks off NC Central 83-69Feb 26, 2010 - 2:53 AM FARMVILLE, Va.(AP) -- Dana Smith had 25 points and 12 rebounds to lead Longwood to an 83-69 victory over North Carolina Central on Thursday night.
Smith had his 10th double-double of the season and became the second player in school history to surpass 1,500 career points (1,520) and 700 career rebounds (704). Antwan Carter added 10 points and 10 rebounds as the Lancers (12-18) won for the third time in four games.
Longwood took a 12-point lead into halftime and continued to add to it in the second half, increasing the advantage to 49-33 on Smith's layup with 16:57 to play. Carter's layup pushed the margin to 55-38 with 14:35 left before N.C. Central (7-22) cut the deficit to 69-61 on Vincent Davis' 3-pointer with 5:42 to play.
Kevin Swecker's 3 widened the margin to 72-61 with 4:25 left.
Swecker finished with 13 points.
Davis had 25 and C.J. Wilkerson added 22 points for N.C. Central.
- NCAA BB
NC CENTRAL 69
LONGWOOD 83 FINAL
Feb 25 9:11 PM
- NCAA BB
NC CENTRAL 31
LONGWOOD 43 HALFTIME
Feb 25 8:06 PM
- Strong first half lifts Maryland past NC Central Dec 10
- 19th-ranked Terps tangle with Eagles Dec 10
- Johnson powers UNC over NC Central Nov 15
- No. 6 North Carolina hosts NC Central Nov 14
- Iowa State cruises by NC Central Mar 22
- NC Central seeks upset of Iowa State Mar 21
- N.C. Central downs Morgan State in MEAC title game Mar 16
- Eagles and Bears clash in MEAC title tilt Mar 15
- Carter leads Wichita State past NC Central Dec 22
- NC Central hopes to shock No. 11 Wichita State Dec 22
- Gillian resigns as Longwood men's hoops coach Mar 14
- Porter, Georgetown rout Longwood Dec 10