South Dakota State stymies Western Illinois 66-53Feb 26, 2010 - 3:49 AM BROOKINGS, S.D.(AP) -- Kai Williams had a double-double and scored seven consecutive points in the second half to break the game open as South Dakota State defeated Western Illinois 66-53 on Thursday night.
Williams had 15 points and 13 rebounds for the Jackrabbits (14-14, 10-7 Great West Conference), who snapped a three-game losing streak and swept the season series. Clint Sargent also scored 15 points, giving him 1,010 for his career, and Griffan Callahan added 11.
David Nurse scored 15 and Quenton Kirby 12 for the Leathernecks (13-15, 6-11), whose four-game winning streak ended.
The Jackrabbits led 33-21 at intermission, but Western Illinois bolted out of the gate with a 9-0 blitz to cut it to 33-30.
But with South Dakota State ahead 48-42, Williams ran off seven in a row for a 55-42 edge with 7:06 remaining. Western Illinois got no closer than eight the rest of the way.
- NCAA BB
WESTRN ILLINOIS 53
SO DAKOTA ST 66 FINAL
Feb 25 9:54 PM
- NCAA BB
WESTRN ILLINOIS 21
SO DAKOTA ST 33 HALFTIME
Feb 25 8:48 PM
- South Dakota St hires Otzelberger as men's basketball coach Apr 14
- Jackrabbits seek 1st NCAA Tournament win Mar 17
- South Dakota State men win Summit championship, 67-59 Mar 9
- South Dakota State edges Denver in Summit tourney 54-53 Mar 8
- S. Dakota St. rallies to beat ORU in Summit League tourney Mar 6
- South Dakota State beats D-II Wayne State 80-53 Dec 2
- Bittle scores 23, South Dakota St. beats Chadron St., 87-52 Nov 14
- Bison edge Jackrabbits in Summit final thriller Mar 10
- Bison battle Jackrabbits in Summit League finale Mar 10
- No. 23 Northern Iowa tops South Dakota St. Dec 28
- Jackrabbits come calling on 23rd-ranked Panthers Dec 28
- No. 14 Utah tops South Dakota State Dec 24