Saint Mary's defeats Pepperdine, 76-49Feb 26, 2010 - 5:18 AM MORAGA, Calif.(AP) -- Omar Samhan's dominant run through the West Coast Conference continued Thursday night, as the center led Saint Mary's to a 76-49 victory over Pepperdine.
Samhan, a candidate for the Naismith Trophy Award, recorded his 18th double-double of the season, finishing with a team-high 20 points and 10 rebounds. He also recorded three blocked shots and became the all-time blocks leader at Saint Mary's with 240, passing Diamon Simpson (239).
Matthew Dellavedova scored 17 points and was 5 for 7 from 3-point range in the victory.
The Gaels (23-5, 10-3 WCC) set the tone early by opening the game with a 12-4 run, and the overmatched Waves, losers of 10 in a row, could never catch up. Pepperdine managed just 17 points in the first half as the Gaels scored 34.
As dominant as Samhan was inside, the Gaels also wreaked havoc on Pepperdine (7-22, 9-10) from the outside. Saint Mary's connected on 10 3-pointers
Mychel Thompson paced Pepperdine with 11 points.
- NCAA BB
SAINT MARYS CA 76 FINAL
Feb 25 11:53 PM
- NCAA BB
SAINT MARYS CA 34 HALFTIME
Feb 25 10:48 PM
- Pepperdine extends Wilson Jun 5
- Gonzaga beats Pepperdine to reach WCC final Mar 10
- Bulldogs battle Waves in WCC semifinals Mar 9
- Gonzaga comes alive late to top Saint Mary's Feb 22
- Zags seek multiple milestones in WCC showdown with Gaels Feb 21
- Gonzaga slips past Pepperdine in 2nd half Feb 14
- Waves hope to come crashing down on third-ranked Bulldogs Feb 14
- No. 3 Gonzaga pulls away to rout St. Mary's Jan 23
- Gaels and Zags square off in pivotal WCC clash Jan 22
- No. 3 Gonzaga edges Pepperdine Jan 16
- Waves hope to wash away third-ranked Bulldogs Jan 15
- Harrison guides St. John's past St. Mary's Dec 20