Furman defeats poor-shooting Citadel 59-44Feb 26, 2010 - 2:21 AM GREENVILLE, S.C.(AP) -- Amu Saaka scored 14 points and grabbed 10 rebounds to help lead Furman past The Citadel 59-44 on Thursday night.
The Paladins (13-15, 7-10 Southern Conference) held the Bulldogs to 16.7 percent shooting in the first half (4 of 24) for a 26-14 halftime lead.
Furman led 9-8 early, and went on a 12-2 run for a 21-10 advantage on Justin Dehm's 3 with 7:36 left until halftime.
The Paladins shot 47.4 percent in the second half (9 of 19), and held off a comeback attempt by The Citadel (15-14, 9-8).
The Bulldogs closed within 45-40 on Harrison Dupont's free throw with 6:29 to go. However, Furman answered with 10-1 run, capped by Dehm's 3 pointer with 2 minutes to play.
Jordan Miller scored 16 points and Darryl Evans added 10 as the Paladins snapped a two-game losing streak.
Dupont finished with 15 points and Cameron Wells added 11 for the Bulldogs.
- NCAA BB
THE CITADEL 44
FURMAN 59 FINAL
Feb 25 8:56 PM
- NCAA BB
THE CITADEL 14
FURMAN 26 HALFTIME
Feb 25 7:43 PM
- Citadel hires VMI coach Baucom Mar 30
- Dancing again: Wofford clinches bid Mar 9
- Furman battles Wofford in SoCon championship game Mar 9
- Spartans seek redemption in clash with Bulldogs Dec 22
- No. 4 Duke handles Furman Nov 27
- Fourth-ranked Blue Devils take aim at Paladins Nov 26
- Winter storm postpones Elon at Furman Feb 12
- Davidson vs. Citadel moved to Monday due to storm Feb 11
- Clanton, No. 19 UCF handle Furman Dec 30
- Appalachian State knocks off The Citadel 71-61 Mar 6
- The Citadel tops Samford 55-43 in SoCon tournament Mar 5
- UNC-Greensboro beats Furman 66-65 in SoCon tourney Mar 5