Northwestern rolls past Iowa 74-57Feb 26, 2010 - 2:07 AM EVANSTON, Ill.(AP) -- John Shurna scored 18 of his 29 points in the first half to lead Northwestern to an easy 74-57 victory over Iowa on Thursday night.
After suffering a 78-65 loss at Iowa on Feb. 10, Northwestern (18-10, 7-9 Big Ten) took a big lead in the opening minutes with a number of easy backdoor layups, then Shurna followed with a barrage of 3-pointers.
Shurna, who entered the night fourth in scoring in the Big Ten, gave the Wildcats a 23-9 lead with back-to-back 3s and Luka Mirkovic extended the lead to 31-11 on a rebound basket.
Northwestern made 11 of its first 14 field-goal attempts and shot 63 percent in the first half, taking a 39-19 halftime lead.
Matt Gatens scored 15 points and Cully Payne added 10 for Iowa (9-19, 3-12).
- NCAA BB
NORTHWESTERN 74 FINAL
Feb 25 8:56 PM
- NCAA BB
NORTHWESTERN 39 HALFTIME
Feb 25 7:47 PM
- Peter Jok to return to Iowa for senior season May 20
- Iowa puts walk-on Nicholas Baer on scholarship Apr 7
- Iowa guard Andrew Fleming to transfer Mar 31
- Iowa's promising season ends in disappointment Mar 21
- Villanova-Iowa bound to end a Sweet 16 drought, but just 1 Mar 19
- Iowa looking to turn things around against Temple Mar 17
- Guard Mike Gesell blossoms into unheralded star for Iowa Mar 8
- No. 8 Iowa suffers damaging 68-64 loss at Ohio State Feb 28
- Iowa controls Big Ten destiny despite loss to Penn State Feb 22
- Iowa big man Adam Woodbury silences critics Feb 10
- Iowa surges into Top 25 with strong Big Ten start Jan 5
- Northwestern F Vic Law to miss season with shoulder injury Nov 11