Memphis knocks off Southern Miss 76-69Feb 28, 2010 - 3:34 AM MEMPHIS, Tenn.(AP) -- Elliot Williams scored 26 points, Roburt Salle added 20 and Memphis survived a poor start for a 76-69 victory over Southern Mississippi on Saturday night.
Wesley Witherspoon added 16 points for Memphis (21-8, 11-3 Conference USA), which won its fifth in the past six games, and held onto a tie for second with Alabama-Birmingham in C-USA.
R.L. Horton led the Golden Eagles (16-12, 6-8) with 24 points, and tried to rally Southern Mississippi with a trio of 3-pointers in the final 2 minutes. But Memphis had built a 12-point lead and Horton's shooting wasn't enough.
Josimar Ayarza scored 14 for Southern Mississippi, while Gary Flowers scored 13 points and grabbed 13 rebounds before fouling out with 1:34 left.
The Tigers erased an 11-point first half deficit and the two teams stayed even until an 8-0 Memphis run midway through the second half broke open a 45-45 tie.
- NCAA BB
SOUTHERN MISS 69
MEMPHIS 76 FINAL
Feb 27 10:10 PM
- NCAA BB
SOUTHERN MISS 32
MEMPHIS 33 HALFTIME
Feb 27 8:56 PM
- Tubby Smith adds 4 assistants to his Memphis coaching staff May 10
- Memphis hires Tubby Smith as Tigers' new basketball coach Apr 14
- Former So. Miss coach Tyndall hit with 10-year show cause Apr 8
- Memphis reviewing possible AD, coach conflict of interest Mar 22
- Josh Pastner to stay at Memphis despite missing NCAAs again Mar 18
- American Athletic Conference suspends Memphis' Shaq Goodwin Jan 5
- Memphis athletic director Tom Bowen gets 2-year extension Oct 8
- Moore leads No. 21 SMU over Memphis Feb 27
- SMU and Memphis collide in AAC action Feb 26
- No. 3 Gonzaga routs Memphis Feb 1
- Memphis hits road to challenge No. 3 Gonzaga Jan 31
- Southern Miss self-imposes postseason ban Jan 20