Samhan sets scoring mark, Saint Mary's wins 88-80Feb 28, 2010 - 4:58 AM MORAGA, Calif.(AP) -- Omar Samhan tied his career high with 33 points and broke the Saint Mary's single-season scoring record as the Gaels beat Loyola Marymount 88-80 Saturday.
Samhan, who was playing in his final home game, now has 623 points this season, breaking the record of 614 held by Eric Schraeder in 1998-99.
Matthew Dellavedova added 20 points, and Ben Allen had 12 points and 11 rebounds for the Gaels (24-5, 11-3 West Coast), who are locked into the No. 2 seed for the conference tournament. Saint Mary's prevented Loyola Marymount (16-14, 7-7) from getting the No. 4 seed and a first-round bye. The fifth-seeded Lions will face No. 8 Pepperdine in the first round on Friday.
Saint Mary's has a bye until the conference semifinals.
Jarred DuBois had 18 points and Vernon Teel 16 for Loyola, which had won its last three games and four of its last five.
- NCAA BB
LOYOLA MARYMNT 80
SAINT MARYS CA 88 FINAL
Feb 27 11:04 PM
- NCAA BB
LOYOLA MARYMNT 43
SAINT MARYS CA 41 HALFTIME
Feb 27 9:58 PM
- Gonzaga comes alive late to top Saint Mary's Feb 22
- Zags seek multiple milestones in WCC showdown with Gaels Feb 21
- No. 3 Gonzaga blows past Loyola Marymount Feb 13
- Lions face tall task in clash with third-ranked Bulldogs Feb 12
- No. 3 Gonzaga pulls away to rout St. Mary's Jan 23
- Gaels and Zags square off in pivotal WCC clash Jan 22
- Balanced Zags beat LMU Jan 18
- First vs. worst in the WCC, as Zags visit Lions Jan 17
- Wichita State has no problem with Loyola Marymount Dec 23
- Lions and Shockers meet in Diamond Head Classic Dec 22
- Harrison guides St. John's past St. Mary's Dec 20
- Gaels come calling on 20th-ranked Red Storm Dec 19