Freeman paces Hampton past Delaware State 64-45Feb 28, 2010 - 1:58 AM HAMPTON, Va.(AP) -- Michael Freeman scored 14 points and grabbed 14 rebounds to help lead Hampton past Delaware State 64-45 on Saturday night.
The Pirates (11-17, 7-8 Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference) forced 21 turnovers, and held off a second-half rally for their third straight win.
Frisco Sandidge's jumper pulled the Hornets (15-11, 10-5) within 41-38 with 12:58 to play. Hampton answered with 12 straight points, going up 53-38 on Vincent Simpson's layup with 8:26 remaining.
The closest Delaware State got the rest of the way was within 11 on Marcus Neal's 3 with 6:38 left but the Pirates answered with a 10-2 run. Charles Funches' jumper gave Hampton a 63-44 lead with 1:06 to go.
Darrion Pellum added 12 points for the Pirates, and Kwame Morgan went 3-for-3 from 3-point range for 10 points.
Marcus Neal scored 12 points for Delaware State, which was 5 of 14 from the foul line.
- NCAA BB
DELAWARE ST 45
HAMPTON 64 FINAL
Feb 27 8:16 PM
- NCAA BB
DELAWARE ST 27
HAMPTON 35 HALFTIME
Feb 27 7:13 PM
- UVa routs Hampton 81-45 after Bennett collapses, returns Mar 17
- No. 1 seed Virginia keeps focus on Hampton - not Spartans Mar 16
- Delaware State beats D-III Summit U 93-44 for 1st win Jan 4
- Kentucky starts slow, still pummels Hampton Mar 20
- No. 1 Kentucky opens with matchup against Hampton Mar 19
- Hampton tops Manhattan, advances to play Kentucky Mar 18
- Hampton and Manhattan open NCAA Tournament Mar 17
- Hampton tops Delaware State for MEAC title Mar 14
- Hampton, Delaware State battle in MEAC championship Mar 14
- No. 23 Syracuse takes down Hampton Nov 16
- Pirates come calling on 23rd-ranked Orange Nov 16
- Delaware State fires Greg Jackson Jan 31