Sam Houston State defeats Texas-Arlington 94-69Feb 28, 2010 - 3:24 AM HUNTSVILLE, Texas(AP) -- Gilberto Clavell finished with 21 points and 11 rebounds and Sam Houston State defeated Texas-Arlington 94-69 Saturday night to clinch the Southland Conference regular season title.
Corey Allmond also scored 21 points, Preston Brown added 15 and Ashton Mitchell 11 for the Bearkats (21-6, 13-1), who took control early then coasted to their 13th win in the last 14 games.
Marquez Haynes, LaMarcus Reed and Brandon Long each scored 14 points to lead the Mavericks (16-11, 8-6), who lost for just the second time in 10 games.
Sam Houston State hit 10 3-pointers and converted 13 Arlington turnovers into 29 points in building a 51-28 halftime lead. The Bearkats pushed their advantage to as many as 30 in the second half and finished with 14 3s and 31 points off 16 turnovers.
- NCAA BB
TEXAS ARLINGTON 69
SAM HOUSTON ST 94 FINAL
Feb 27 10:02 PM
- NCAA BB
TEXAS ARLINGTON 28
SAM HOUSTON ST 51 HALFTIME
Feb 27 8:59 PM
- Sam Houston State beats St. Thomas (Texas) 114-92 Nov 17
- SFA tops SHSU to win Southland tourney again Mar 15
- Lumberjacks and Bearkats go for Southland championship Mar 14
- Longhorns fend off Texas-Arlington Dec 3
- Mavericks face tall task in meeting with Longhorns Dec 2
- No. 1 Kentucky routs UT-Arlington 92-44 Nov 26
- Mavericks face uphill climb in clash with top-ranked Wildcats Nov 25
- Stephen F. Austin drubs Sam Houston State for Southland title Mar 16
- Bearkats battle Lumberjacks in Southland Tournament final Mar 15
- Young, Kentucky top UTA Nov 19
- Mavericks face uphill climb in clash with fourth-ranked Wildcats Nov 19
- New Mexico State wins WAC Mar 17