Iowa hands Indiana 10th straight loss, 73-57Mar 1, 2010 - 1:32 AM By LUKE MEREDITH AP Sports Writer
IOWA CITY, Iowa(AP) -- Matt Gatens scored a career-high 25 points and Iowa beat reeling Indiana 73-57 on Sunday to snap a three-game losing streak.
Aaron Fuller added 17 points for the Hawkeyes (10-19, 4-12 Big Ten), who never trailed in closing out their home schedule with a .500 record.
Iowa jumped out to an early 17-4 lead and was in control most of the rest of the way. The Hoosiers (9-19, 3-13) briefly cut the deficit to five early in the second half before a cold-shooting stretch doomed them to their 10th straight loss.
Verdell Jones III had 22 points for Indiana, which committed 20 turnovers and was outscored in the paint 26-18.
The Hawkeyes and Hoosiers, both in the midst of major rebuilding projects, came in having lost 16 of their last 17 games combined. The only win over that stretch was when Iowa beat Northwestern 78-65 on Feb. 10.
- NCAA BB
IOWA 73 FINAL
Feb 28 8:17 PM
- NCAA BB
IOWA 32 HALFTIME
Feb 28 6:54 PM
- Peter Jok to return to Iowa for senior season May 20
- Blackmon Jr. declares for NBA draft without hiring agent Apr 25
- Indiana forward Troy Williams enters NBA draft, could return Apr 12
- Thomas Bryant to return for sophomore season at Indiana Apr 7
- Iowa puts walk-on Nicholas Baer on scholarship Apr 7
- Former Indiana Hoosiers star Archie Dees dies at age 80 Apr 4
- Iowa guard Andrew Fleming to transfer Mar 31
- Sweet 16 loss to North Carolina ends Yogi years at Indiana Mar 26
- Heels vs. Hoosiers in Sweet 16: These teams shoot and score Mar 24
- Crean overcomes criticism to lead Hoosiers back to Sweet 16 Mar 23
- Hoosiers turnaround inspired by tougher, stouter defense Mar 23
- Iowa's promising season ends in disappointment Mar 21