Norfolk State beats Coppin State 67-57Mar 2, 2010 - 4:05 AM BALTIMORE(AP) -- Brandon Wheeless scored 16 points and Kyle O'Quinn had 14 points and a career-high 19 rebounds for his ninth double-double of the season as Norfolk State defeated Coppin State 67-57 on Monday night.
The Spartans (10-18, 8-7 Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference), who have won five of their last six games, led by as many as seven in the first half before taking a 34-30 lead into halftime.
The Eagles (8-20, 3-12) came within a point on two occasions, the last at 43-42 with 12:32 left, but Norfolk State went on a 12-3 run.
Coppin State got within four at 59-55 with 2:49 left, but the Spartans made 6 of 7 free throws to seal the win.
Norfolk State finished with a 42-28 rebounding edge, but also had more turnovers, 18 to 10.
Michael Deloach added 14 points for the Spartans, who shot 51 percent (25-for-49) from the field.
Michael Harper led the Eagles with 14 points.
- NCAA BB
NORFOLK ST 67
COPPIN ST 57 FINAL
Mar 1 9:38 PM
- NCAA BB
NORFOLK ST 34
COPPIN ST 30 HALFTIME
Mar 1 8:35 PM
- O'Neale's hot shooting powers Baylor past Norfolk St. Dec 30
- Norfolk State hits road to test No, 22 Baylor Dec 30
- No. 9 Virginia cruises past Norfolk State Nov 17
- Norfolk State pays visit to No. 9 Virginia Nov 16
- Mitchell out at Coppin State after 28 years Mar 28
- Gonzaga cruises past Coppin State Dec 1
- No. 11 Gonzaga plays host to Coppin State Dec 1
- Irvin helps Michigan cruise past Coppin State Nov 29
- Wolverines set sights on Eagles Nov 29
- Evans leaving Norfolk State Apr 15
- Warren, Wolfpack roll past Spartans Dec 16
- Wolfpack set to pounce on visiting Spartans Dec 15