Alabama State pulls away late for 52-43 victoryMar 2, 2010 - 5:25 AM PRAIRIE VIEW, Texas(AP) -- Menji Mundadi scored 12 points, including five in the final minute, to help Alabama State pull away from Prairie View for a 52-43 victory Monday night.
Tramaine Butler added 10 points for the Hornets (14-13, 11-5 Southwestern Athletic Conference), who won despite shooting just 31.5 percent.
Darnell Hugee scored 14 to lead the Panthers (15-12, 10-6), who shot only slightly better at 33.3 percent.
Alabama State broke open a tightly contested game in the final minute by hitting 6-of-8 free throws, part of a 9-0 run over the final 1:15. Mundadi hit five of the foul shots.
The first half featured eight lead changes and three ties. The Hornets, though, ended the half on a 6-2 run for 25-22 lead and led the rest of the way. Prairie View never trailed by more than six until the final minute.
- NCAA BB
ALABAMA ST 52
PRAIRIE VIEW 43 FINAL
Mar 1 11:14 PM
- NCAA BB
ALABAMA ST 25
PRAIRIE VIEW 22 HALFTIME
Mar 1 10:05 PM
- Prairie View coach Rimm resigns with Panthers 1-18 Jan 27
- Texas Southern ends Prairie View's Cinderella run, wins SWAC Mar 15
- SWAC title up for grabs in clash between Panthers and Tigers Mar 15
- Wisconsin takes care of Prairie View A&M Dec 28
- Panthers face uphill climb in clash with fourth-ranked Badgers Dec 28
- Southern outlasts Prairie View A&M in SWAC title game Mar 16
- SWAC title on line in bout between Panthers and Jaguars Mar 16
- Florida stomps Alabama State Nov 11
- Gators officially open season against visiting Hornets Nov 11
- Jones shines as Baylor crushes Prairie View A&M Nov 30
- Prairie View comes to Waco to challenge No. 7 Baylor Nov 29
- No. 21 Cincinnati routs Alabama State Nov 14