Hampton rolls past Howard 90-42Mar 5, 2010 - 4:07 AM HAMPTON, Va.(AP) -- Darrion Pellum and Vincent Simpson scored 22 points each as Hampton rolled to a regular-season ending 90-42 victory over Howard on Thursday night.
Brandon Tunnell added 12 points and nine assists and the Pirates (13-17, 8-8 Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference) shot 56.5 percent from the field (35-for-62) to win their fifth consecutive game. Hampton had 13 steals, outrebounded Howard 38-28 and had only eight turnovers.
It was Hampton's most lopsided victory since defeating Savannah State 100-57 on Jan. 23, 2006.
The Pirates led 53-21 at halftime after jumping out to a 24-5 advantage 9 minutes into the game. Howard was 2-for-7 with six turnovers in that span.
Simpson and Pellum hit consecutive 3-pointers to give Hampton a 63-26 lead with 16:57 to play in the game.
Kwame Morgan added 13 points for the Pirates.
Dadrian Collins led Howard (7-24, 6-10) with 11 points.
- NCAA BB
HAMPTON 90 FINAL
Mar 4 10:10 PM
- UVa routs Hampton 81-45 after Bennett collapses, returns Mar 17
- No. 1 seed Virginia keeps focus on Hampton - not Spartans Mar 16
- Kentucky starts slow, still pummels Hampton Mar 20
- No. 1 Kentucky opens with matchup against Hampton Mar 19
- Hampton tops Manhattan, advances to play Kentucky Mar 18
- Hampton and Manhattan open NCAA Tournament Mar 17
- Hampton tops Delaware State for MEAC title Mar 14
- Hampton, Delaware State battle in MEAC championship Mar 14
- No. 23 Syracuse takes down Hampton Nov 16
- Pirates come calling on 23rd-ranked Orange Nov 16
- No. 17 Kansas downs Howard Dec 30
- Kansas welcomes Howard to Lawrence Dec 29