Cornell routs Yale 79-59Mar 7, 2010 - 2:29 AM NEW HAVEN, Conn.(AP) -- Ryan Wittman scored 20 points and Cornell routed Yale 79-59 on Saturday night, moving into a tie for the second most wins in a season in Ivy League history with 27.
Wittman hit 6 of 10 3-pointers and the Big Red (27-4, 13-1 Ivy League) shot 57.1 percent (12 of 21) from long range, including 8 of 10 in the second half.
Cornell, which will next play in the NCAA tournament, became the first Ivy League team to reach 27 wins since Princeton in 1997-98.
The Bulldogs (12-19, 6-8) trailed for all but the first 1:05, and pulled within 46-42 with 14:03 remaining.
The Big Red then went on a 16-2 run to lead 62-44 on Wittman's layup with 9:14 left. Cornell pushed its lead to as much as 72-47 on Wittman's 3 a little less than 5 minutes later.
Louis Dale scored 18 points for Cornell, which won its seventh straight.
Alex Zampier scored 24 points to pace Yale.
- NCAA BB
YALE 59 FINAL
Mar 6 8:55 PM
- NCAA BB
YALE 28 HALFTIME
Mar 6 7:50 PM
- Brian Earl hired as Cornell men's basketball coach Apr 18
- Defending champ Duke, upstart Yale ready for 2nd round clash Mar 18
- From controversy to NCAA upset artist, Yale eyeing more Mar 18
- Yale blocks out captain's dismissal heading to NCAA tourney Mar 16
- Former Yale captain says he'll sue school over expulsion Mar 14
- Yale, without captain, celebrates first bid in 54 years Mar 13
- Yale team navigates campus anger amid NCAA Tournament bid Mar 10
- Yale captain Montague won't return to Ivy league leaders Feb 24
- Stifling D lifts Cornell over Penn State-Harrisburg, 76-47 Nov 23
- Harvard edges Yale in thriller for Ivy League title Mar 15
- Murray State beats Yale for CIT title Apr 3
- Racers host Bulldogs for CIT crown Apr 3